Home > Trip Reports > December 3, 2011, Union Basin

December 3, 2011, Union Basin

12/3/11
Posted by telemack on 12/4/11 2:31am
     Four of us headed into Bullion Basin to look for some old soft snow.  We were expecting sun, warmth, and variable conditions, but only found the third.  Increasing clouds, wind and even flurries surprised us.  We climbed the gully and face below the north peak of Crown Point, which was surprisingly wind buffed with some kind of a fog crust in place, but some leftover or blown in soft.   A pit at 6100' on the R side of the face showed good stabillity, with Q2/3 shearing on the crust below Tuesday's storm and the one from before Thanksgiving. 
     Abandoning plans to ski the face we had skinned due to it being mailnly crusts, we dropped into Union Basin on a SE aspect.  The light snow at the summit was just a bit of wind depo; below we had some of the same "mixed bag" Robie mentioned in the Tatoosh:  sun and wind crusts, sometimes breakable , sometimes 2-5" of dust on top, and some deeper crud.  Hard to get a rhythm but still fun.  On the pass back into Bullion we saw substantial clouds in the valleys W of the crest, and none to the E---cool.   
    The descent down the trail to C lot was a bobsled run with chopped up hardening crud. 
Very firm base, even solid around the tree wells.  I hope there is some fresh for next weekend.
nice to meet you there.  -trevor

author=cornRIDE link=topic=22600.msg96505#msg96505 date=1323023864]
nice to meet you there.   -trevor

That was YOU with the woman carrying her board?  ;D  I like your tunes!  8)
In retrospect we could have all gotten good value by riding laps on East Peak right above where we regrouped at the meadow.  It would be fun to tour with you some day.

thanks!

i was solo w/ dog for the day and ran into her on the trail- don't remember her name now. thanks to your party for breaking trail. i live in greenwater and like to tour often. let me know when you head out this way next.

Reply to this TR

december-3-2011-union-basin
telemack
2011-12-04 10:31:33