Home > Trip Reports > Dec 3, 2011, Vesper Peak (lost skins!)

Dec 3, 2011, Vesper Peak (lost skins!)

12/3/11
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by Vman on 12/3/11 11:13am
Beautiful day going up Vesper.  We skinned in 2 miles from the mtn loop highway, had to hike from the TH to the large stream, but could skin after that.  On the way down, my skins and sit-pad fell out of my bag!  Stupid hasty packing...Let me know if you've seen them.  They fell out (I think) somewhere near the bottom of the bowl below the pass.
Alas, did not see your skins (we may have been ahead of you).

Beautiful day. Summit slopes had 4-6" of fast dry snow atop a supportable crust. Headlee was work heading up, but skied quite well on the down; 6-8+" of settled pow. Out of the shade down low had 1-2" of light dust on edgeable but loud crust. The midweek TAY vanguard inspired ~15 to make the trip, but I bet there's still some room for new tracks, especially up high. Very curious if there's a light crust tomorrow.

An uptrack thought - coming up from the creek, a good route is to follow your nose uphill, but arrange to cross the ridge into the basin below Headlee Pass downhill of a rock outcropping . Going higher will cliff out.

Great to meet the summit gaggle!

Is the road open to Barlow Pass, the county site says its gated??

We hauled out three kids who had gotten their truck stuck on Wednesday.  I'm pretty sure I remember them telling us the gate was open and they had driven past it.

word on the street is open to barlow, and unplowed/closed-ish from barlow to bedal

I really like the photo of sperry, sloan and glacier!  Very nice views indeed!

Reply to this TR

dec-3-2011-vesper-peak-lost-skins
Vman
2011-12-03 19:13:22