Home > Trip Reports > December 3, 2011, - Silver Peak

December 3, 2011, - Silver Peak

12/3/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 12/3/11 7:32am
Skied and climbed Silver Peak from Ski Acres (Summit Central) today. Started at the Silver Fir parking lot and took the White Rabbit trail (I think that's what it's called) to Grand Junction. Followed the road system north of Radio Mtn to the Windy Pass area.

The road was groomed for XC skiing to the Rockdale loop junction, then deteriorated into an ungroomed cat track as it circled around Radio Mtn. Lots of rough tread marks and chunks. The cat track ended near the north edge of the Windy Pass clearcuts and it was trail breaking from there. Eventually I found the track left by Silas and Crispin a few days ago near the top of the clearcuts.

Generally very wind-affected snow in the north basin below Silver Peak. I didn't detect any instability, but it didn't offer very good skiing. My goal was the summit, so I climbed to the north ridge and traversed the west flank, then climbed up the south ridge to the top. Quite icy in places on the west flank--I used both ski and boot crampons and carried whippets. Cloudy on top.

Found little pockets of nice snow near treeline during the descent, but not a lot of it. I returned the way I came and found lots of lift skiers enjoying the Silver Fir runs back at the Summit.
thanks for the report Lowell

Hiking over on McClellan Butte on the E and SE facing slopes above 3800 feet to 4400 feet where we turned around we found variable soft dense consolidating or sugary powder, with an inch to two of soft wind slab or suncrust .  One avalanche slope with debris from some days ago near its top, the other chutes smooth, and all stable. Post holed to full leg depth in wind deposited snow in some areas, but generally found more supportive conditions. Harder, crusty areas lower down in the woods.

Lowell, we must have followed your trail from Windy Pass.  Started out from Hayak with three others over and down to Hidden Valley on crusty snowcat ruts.  Two of us then headed toward Silver a bit round about way over Nordic Pass. Skiing was actually very good off the ridge about 10" of dense powder.  We took the Catherine loop back to the car just before dark.

Thanks Kenji.

It's remarkable that the skiing was so much better down the ridge a ways. It must have to do with how the wind funnels up the basin. I found little pockets of good snow, but after a couple turns I'd hit another slabby section.

Reply to this TR

december-3-2011-silver-peak
Lowell_Skoog
2011-12-03 15:32:25