Home > Trip Reports > December 2, 2011, Drifting through Paradise

December 2, 2011, Drifting through Paradise

12/2/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Don Heath on 12/3/11 2:17am
In spite of the dreaded possible "Crust" we ventured out through Edith Basin, up to the base of pan Point, and then across and down to 4th crossing.  My brother in law, Mike, joined me for his second backcountry trip.  He's pretty well hooked now ;>).

Man, do I love my drifters!  They kept me on top of everything.  We found excellent powder in tree protected, and North facing slopes.  Most of the day we were on the top of full sun, wind packed powder that supported us very well.  Going down into the valley towards 4th Crossing, we found some pretty serious sun crust, but even that was skiable.  Man, I love the fat, light Drifters!

Nice stoke Rusty, as I sit here at my desk writing a paper...  Hard to beat Rainier on a beautiful day like that.

Don, I noticed your brother is on Rando gear. I thought you were a tele person.  What happened ? ;)

author=Zap link=topic=22585.msg96455#msg96455 date=1322938812]
Don, I noticed your brother is on Rando gear. I thought you were a tele person.  What happened ? ;)

I am a proselytizer, but some people only get converted half way to Paradise.  ;D

Nice, Don,
Thanks for the report.

Looks good Rusty.  Why am I sitting down here in the smog during this inversion?  My poor lungs.

Must.. breathe... fresh....... air....(gasp).

Reply to this TR

december-2-2011-drifting-through-paradise
Don Heath
2011-12-03 10:17:29