Home > Trip Reports > 11.29.11 -- Mt. Rose ski area

11.29.11 -- Mt. Rose ski area

11/15/11
Posted by kam on 11/30/11 5:22pm
Back in early October I broke my left pinky toe getting out of bed.  Call it luck, and the combination of high velocity and that darn bed post that turned my little toe nearly 90 degrees to the left.  A perfectly clean break, but buddy taping with duct tape did the trick, and a few weeks after the incident I managed to make some painful Oct. turns, getting after what was left of the first snow in the Sierras.

Now for November turns.  I was hoping that Mt. Rose ski area would be open by now, but it's not :(.

So Ben and I decided to make the best of what was available.  I picked him up at 4:35 am on Tuesday morning.  By 5:17 am we were quietly gearing up at the upper parking lot of Mt. Rose ski area, a few hundred yards shy of the semi-occupied employee housing.

We climbed the nearly 1800 vf. with headlamps to the top of the NW Magnum chair in about 45 minutes.  The route was over dirt, shrubs, ice, and what looked like snow.  I did not feel my little toe complain!  From the top the view of the city lights was spectacular.

We enjoyed hot tea, conversed about science and rubbish, then waited for the sun to light up the sky.

The ski down was fun: every possible condition imaginable:

My little toe didn't complain too much though because Nov. turns was in the bag.  We made it back to Reno by 8 am, just in time to start a fine day at work.
Ooooh! ....  Junk!!

Kam ,way to pull off a tough one . Many years ago my new puppy and I were chasing each other around the dining room table.  I was barefoot and drunk and suffered a right angle little toe. Seems like it took forever to get back in a ski boot.

Yay for healed little toe, boo for bushy ribbon of snow... but as usual you make the most of it.  I assume all the Reno fires are under control now?  Did Squeak get to play this morning?

Good work, Kamster.
Glad to hear the finger is better.

Kam, I think you need to enhance,put a Marketing spin, on the left pinky break story.  Sympathy at home will not change but I'm certain the "unwashed" local buddies could be persuaded to break trail for you for awhile.  Also, you could leverage your students.

I've been following the weather pattern in the Tahoe area,http://tahoeweatherdiscussion.com/,  and it appears the snowmaking machines are working hard. Hope the typical 5 foot storm cycle arrives soon.

Surprisingly, we made a few powder turns.

@Marcus -- the Squeaker gave me a dirty look when I tried to wake her at 3:45 am.

@Zap -- having others break trail is a really good idea.

Hope the snow falls soon -- I have a pile of skis to test again....

Reply to this TR

11-29-11-mt-rose-ski-area
kam
2011-12-01 01:22:21