Home > Trip Reports > November 26, 2011, Newton Canyon, Sunshine!

November 26, 2011, Newton Canyon, Sunshine!

11/26/11
Posted by blackdog102395 on 11/27/11 12:16am
Beautiful day in Newton Canyon with no signs of instability.

https://picasaweb.google.com/118025853069449417238/NewtonCanyonSunshine
linky no worky
(or is it just me?)

Should work now.  I didn't have the link enabled as "public."  Sorry 'bout that.

Nice photos.

Looks really nice!  I'd love to get up that way sometime this winter.  Let me know if you're ever looking for a partner....

author=stoudema link=topic=22491.msg96101#msg96101 date=1322423218]
Looks really nice!  I'd love to get up that way sometime this winter.  Let me know if you're ever looking for a partner....

Certainly will be heading back this winter, especially once the cat track gets laid down.  I definitely want to make it over to Gnarl once the chutes fill in.  I'll shoot you a PM next time I head that way.  Feel free to do the same.

As the first one out finding a bridge across the Clark required some scouting.  The bridge I did find was better than the scary log crossing from last year at this time.  I had limited time for a tour and I ended up bailing about halfway up and skiing the trees back into Clark.  It saves so much time having a cat track for the run out.  But we shouldn’t have long to wait before they get it put in though.  It is a great zone with a lot of terrain options for any type of conditions and help is very close should anyone get hurt.  Great pics of Gnarl.  That is a long approach but looks like it might be worth it. 

The 1 more run was worth it.  Nice to meet you and your partners.  Let me know if you ever have room for 1 more splitter.

author=Edgesport link=topic=22491.msg96121#msg96121 date=1322442689]
As the first one out finding a bridge across the Clark required some scouting.  The bridge I did find was better than the scary log crossing from last year at this time.   I had limited time for a tour and I ended up bailing about halfway up and skiing the trees back into Clark.  It saves so much time having a cat track for the run out.  But we shouldn’t have long to wait before they get it put in though.  It is a great zone with a lot of terrain options for any type of conditions and help is very close should anyone get hurt.  Great pics of Gnarl.  That is a long approach but looks like it might be worth it. 

Yes, the ride back down the ridge was a bit gripping due to tired legs and tight trees, but nice turns were had once the trees opened up.   The cat track solves the tight tree problem, as well as finding a route across the Clark.  Gnarl would be a solid tour with a whole lot of up and down, but in the right conditions I bet it would be well worth the effort.  I'd love to hear from somebody who has completed it.

author=blackdog102395 link=topic=22491.msg96127#msg96127 date=1322446386]
Yes, the ride back down the ridge was a bit gripping due to tired legs and tight trees, but nice turns were had once the trees opened up.   The cat track solves the tight tree problem, as well as finding a route across the Clark.  Gnarl would be a solid tour with a whole lot of up and down, but in the right conditions I bet it would be well worth the effort.  I'd love to hear from somebody who has completed it.

Found this trip report from Koda in March of 09 - http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=12946.0 

here is another TR of mine to ski the main chute in Gnarl Ridge it looks like I could have named it more appropriately since Gnarl ridge or Lamberson Butte actually was more the objective...

Feb 20, 2011, Mt Hood, Newton

The main chute in Gnarl is a fun ski

author=Koda link=topic=22491.msg96134#msg96134 date=1322453885">
here is another TR of mine to ski the main chute in Gnarl Ridge it looks like I could have named it more appropriately since Gnarl ridge or Lamberson Butte actually was more the objective...

Feb 20, 2011, Mt Hood, Newton

The main chute in Gnarl is a fun ski

Wow Newton/Pea Gravel looks strange from there - http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=19801.0;id=10616;image I had no idea that ridge between Pea Gravel and Gnarl was that big!  So your 09 trip you booted the face, and 2011 you skinned up from the east?  I have looked at maps and wondered if one could go from Tilly Jane, up to the Spur, over and down to Lamberson, into Newton and exit Heather.  Might make a nice one-nite trip in the spring.... perhaps it could even be done in the January/February dry spell's we get.

author=Edgesport link=topic=22491.msg96140#msg96140 date=1322457045]
I have looked at maps and wondered if one could go from Tilly Jane, up to the Spur, over and down to Lamberson, into Newton and exit Heather.  Might make a nice one-nite trip in the spring.... perhaps it could even be done in the January/February dry spell's we get.

you can certainly do that but there is not much in the way of turns save a few short pitches and a very long committing tour. In this area there might be some 600' pitches below timberline, but they are buried deep in there for a day tour for such a short run. I did a tour to ski peak 6227 and came slightly short of our objective due to the long approach from Cooper Spur and crossing Pollalie Canyon. That said, its a beautiful area  of wilderness. 

I'm constantly re-reading the topo maps looking for new terrain to ski on Hood to no avail. If only we had winter access to the N and NW side of the mountain.

author=Edgesport link=topic=22491.msg96140#msg96140 date=1322457045]
So your 09 trip you booted the face, and 2011 you skinned up from the east? 
forgot to answer that, but yes

that photo of that ridge... taken from lower on Gnarl where the cliffs start forming looking for other chutes to ski. (notice the foreground in the picture... or lack of) Have not found any entrance yet, and don't know if I will keep investigating having taken the time to tour up Lamberson and finding no other objectives closer in. but sometimes when I look at Gnarl from Newton I see lines...  :)

Reply to this TR

november-26-2011-newton-canyon-sunshine
blackdog102395
2011-11-27 08:16:22