Home > Trip Reports > November 25, 2011, Rock Mountain

November 25, 2011, Rock Mountain

11/25/11
Posted by jwplotz on 11/25/11 1:22pm
Rock Mountain skied very, very good today.  From near-top to bottom.  Kyle Flick, Scott McCallister and I all agreed we had never hit such a continuously good run down the Rock practically all the way to the 2.  We overcame obstacles to make this a great touring day, mainly Scott's touring Dynafit toepiece malfunction that kept him locked into tour mode, and Scott's errant skin, and Scott's inability to traverse uphill in bottomless snow, and Scott's failure to bring any smoked salmon.  But we did prevail.  And Scott once again proved to be one of the most versatile and efficient tourers I know.  Excuse me, splitboard mountaineer.  I think he was wearing gaiters. 

There was just enough cloud cover to keep us off the summit, so we took a couple laps in the mellow meadows lower down.  Of course, the skies cleared to perfection just as we reached the car.

Lots of snow up there, deliciously filled in all the way down, sparing my bases yet another stone ground.

A few more photos from the day...

Cool. Thanks for the report.

Looks great. I assume this is for the 25th. gkf

Oops. Date fixed.

Thanks!

Go Cougs.

Great pictures.

None of the lower section on the way down?

Sweet! I'll be spending some time in that area during Christmas. Found Rock Mt. on google earth. I was wondering where exactly to park on 2, or if it's best to go from the north side past the lake? Thanks a bunch!

There's usually a plowed out spot a few hundred yards east of the summer trailhead.

looks ROUGH! it's amazing you made it despite the lack of smoked salmon!

:)

author=spionin link=topic=22479.msg96111#msg96111 date=1322435780]
looks ROUGH! it's amazing you made it despite the lack of smoked salmon!

:)

Tell me about it V. And no caipirinahs when we hit our high point either. Yeah, it was rough.

There was a party on the summit today. Blue sky and all kinds of smoked salmon.  Dog's where fighting over it.

Reply to this TR

november-25-2011-rock-mountain
jwplotz
2011-11-25 21:22:18