1922 Film: 1st Winter Ascent of Mt Rainier

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Nov 2011 18:46 - 24 Jun 2019 10:42 #202671 by Lowell_Skoog
1922 Film: 1st Winter Ascent of Mt Rainier was created by Lowell_Skoog

L-R: Jacques Bergues, Jean Landry and Jacques Landry prepare to climb Mount Rainier in 1922.

In November 2003, I received an email from Steve Turner of Sacramento, California. Steve is the grandson of Charles R. Perryman, the Selznick newsreel cameraman who accompanied European alpinists Jean and Jacques Landry and Jacques Bergues to the summit of Mount Rainier to make the first winter ascent in February 1922. If you're not familiar with this climb, you may enjoy the account in Dee Molenaar's Challenge of Rainier ( google books link ).

Steve contacted me after finding notes about his grandfather's climb on my ski history website here .� He wrote that he had his grandfather's newsreel footage from the climb.� After several emails, Steve offered to donate the film to The Mountaineers in exchange for a DVD copy.� This began an eight year game of email tag.� Long gaps ensued.� Finally, two months ago he sent me the film. It has been digitized and I've posted a digital copy on the Mountaineers website here:

alpenglow.org/mountaineers-history/notes...yman-mt-rainier.html

The Mount Rainier newsreel was accompanied by several other interesting and unusual films. You can see the whole collection here:

mountaineers.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A...s+Perryman+Newsreels

This is a truly historic film.� It was the first motion picture ever taken on the summit of Mount Rainier.� It shows the first winter ascent of any significant peak in Washington, and the biggest one at that.� It is the oldest climbing or skiing film I know of in this state.� Since the film was made in 1922, almost 90 years have elapsed since it has been seen in public.� This Thanksgiving Day, I'm thankful to Steve Turner for this one-of-a-kind gift to the Northwest mountaineering community.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
24 Nov 2011 20:36 #202646 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: 1922 Film: 1st Winter Ascent of Mt Rainier
That is very cool....thanks for sharing Lowell.

More
24 Nov 2011 21:06 - 24 Nov 2011 21:12 #202672 by Lisa
Fantastic Lowell this is great!! Thank you for your hard work to share this with us and the mountaineering community as a whole.

Classic humor of the Twenties when the the camera man says: "10 hours of This", as he followed the climbers shooting their derrieres.

• SeatownSlackey
  • [SeatownSlackey]
More
24 Nov 2011 23:27 #202673 by SeatownSlackey
Replied by SeatownSlackey on topic Re: 1922 Film: 1st Winter Ascent of Mt Rainier
thanks Lowell.  love the rarefied chance to look back upon ski mountaineering over three generations ago.

More
25 Nov 2011 11:59 #202676 by Schenk
Wow, this sure looks interesting and cool, but I have a small challenge:
Other than being a Luddite, is there some reason I cannot view these films when I try to link to them?

• mick_scott
  • [powderslut]
More
25 Nov 2011 14:42 #202677 by mick_scott
Replied by mick_scott on topic Re: 1922 Film: 1st Winter Ascent of Mt Rainier
Thank you Lowell for all of your effort in making this available for all of us to share and enjoy.
What a treasure!!!

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
25 Nov 2011 17:00 #202678 by JibberD

Wow, this sure looks interesting and cool, but I have a small challenge:
Other than being a Luddite, is there some reason I cannot view these films when I try to link to them?

I have the same problem... just a red x and no action on the linked page for me...??

• trees4me
  • [trees4me]
More
25 Nov 2011 18:14 #202681 by trees4me
Replied by trees4me on topic Re: 1922 Film: 1st Winter Ascent of Mt Rainier
FYI: Mozilla plays it fine, ie8 does not. wm player won't play the *.ogv file either (at least without add-ons).

Lowell, thanks for posting this it's really interesting history!
PS. I think we ran into you at the top of Alpy today, you cruised by my wife and I after rollen. good turns today!

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
25 Nov 2011 18:20 - 25 Nov 2011 18:28 #202682 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: 1922 Film: 1st Winter Ascent of Mt Rainier

I have the same problem... just a red x and no action on the linked page for me...??

JibberD and Schenk: Can you tell me what browser you are using (including version)? I've viewed these videos successfully on fairly recent versions of the top four browsers:
  • Firefox
  • Internet Explorer
  • Safari
  • Crome

On Internet Explorer 7 the movie runs in a Java applet (because that version does not support HTML5). If you don't have Java enabled, that might be a problem.

I'm not a video or web expert, so if there's anything very subtle about the problem you're having, I probably won't be able to diagnose it.

My main criteria when I posted the Mountaineer films was NOT to host them on YouTube or similar sites. My sense is that people assume that stuff on those sites is in the public domain, and I'm not ready to go there with the Mountaineers film collection.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
25 Nov 2011 18:26 #202683 by Lowell_Skoog

FYI:  Mozilla plays it fine, ie8 does not.  wm player won't play the *.ogv file either (at least without add-ons).

Thanks for this info. I haven't tried IE8 yet. On IE7, the movie runs in a Java applet called Cortado. I believe the applet loads automatically if you have IE set up for that. Some people have said that they don't like that, but I'm not savvy enough about videos at this point to offer another method. I used the first method I found that worked. I'm open to suggestions.

Yes, I think we passed at Alpental today. Very nice to get out.

More
25 Nov 2011 18:33 #202684 by ron j
They play fine for me on IE9.
Thanks Lowell. These clips are a priceless find.

• Andy Bond
  • [Andy Bond]
More
25 Nov 2011 21:06 #202687 by Andy Bond
Replied by Andy Bond on topic Re: 1922 Film: 1st Winter Ascent of Mt Rainier
Awesome video Lowell, thanks for posting!

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
25 Nov 2011 21:31 #202688 by JibberD

JibberD and Schenk: Can you tell me what browser you are using (including version)?

IE9 for me.

ron j says IE9 is working for him, so maybe it's something with my security settings.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
28 Nov 2011 15:37 #202721 by Lowell_Skoog

My main criteria when I posted the Mountaineer films was NOT to host them on YouTube or similar sites. My sense is that people assume that stuff on those sites is in the public domain, and I'm not ready to go there with the Mountaineers film collection.

Interesting.

I see that the video of the 1922 winter ascent was uploaded to YouTube by user "nassstnate" one day after I announced it on the Mountaineers website. The person who uploaded it never asked for permission but did provide a link to the original site.

• swaterfall
  • [swaterfall]
More
03 Dec 2011 10:42 #202828 by swaterfall
Replied by swaterfall on topic Re: 1922 Film: 1st Winter Ascent of Mt Rainier
Very cool Lowell!

At 2:35 it shows the guys climbing what looks like the Gib Ledges, obviously in it's pre-1936 collapse condition. I've never seen film of the route from that time period.

Thanks!