Home > Trip Reports > 11-23-11 Hyak - Pre Thanksgiving Workout

11-23-11 Hyak - Pre Thanksgiving Workout

11/23/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Don Heath on 11/23/11 12:19pm
    I took the Drifters out for some pre - holiday exercise on Hyak today.  Anna, the aging mountain dog, came too.  It was raining at the bottom, sleeting in the middle, and snowing lightly at the top, on both laps.  Really fun turns once I got the hang of sitting back a little and letting the Drifters do the work.  The dog has learned to follow the skin track down at a pace that suits her.  I stopped and waited for her whenever it occurred to me, or whenever I face planted.

So on the way up, I was working on uphill strategies - anybody have things that work to keep your mind occupied and help forget the boredom and/or pain?
- Being Thankful kept me occupied for about two switchbacks.
- Pretending I was going downhill by practicing weight shifting, lead changes (Tele people unite), edging, cuff pressure, angulation, etc. :  10 steps
- My old standby - counting steps.  Do you know it's 1734 steps from the bottom of the first steepish section to the top?  Plus or minus 2 % due to brain farts.
- That's my whole bag of uphill mental tricks.

On the way down, I met Summit, an energetic 6 mo. old pup, taking his masters out for a climb.  Also met Tim and Trooper for the first time.  Two other guys and a dog were also out.

Thanks to whoever put in the skin tract (Yesterday?)  It was the next best thing to an escalator.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
I usually just look down adoringly as my Drifters glide through the snow.  I mean, they're so AWESOME!!!

I put in the skin track yesterday - let me tell you, that was a bitch

To who ever was in the dark/black truck this afternoon at hyak - i got your goggles. hit me up

I kinda figured you'd be dreaming about women and beer, Don. No?

author=kneel turner link=topic=22449.msg95948#msg95948 date=1322112725]
I usually just look down adoringly as my Drifters glide through the snow.  I mean, they're so AWESOME!!!

I agree.  ;)

As my ski friend Ken Z says "When else do you slow yourself down , enjoy the nature of places and hear your own heart beat."

For myself when it gets hard I tell myself this is where you wanna be.

author=Teleskichica link=topic=22449.msg95952#msg95952 date=1322119703]
I kinda figured you'd be dreaming about women and beer, Don. No?

Thanks for the ideas, Holly.  Large women and large beers - now that is something to climb for.  Ellen will share a beer with me, but the women will have tostay a fantasy.  ;)

author=Robie]  Hear your own heartbeat... 

When I hear my heartbeat it's a warning that I need to slow down  ;D.

No, you shouldn't slow down till you can feel your own heartbeat tapping on the backs of your eyeballs.  At which point you should just maintain that pace.

...and yes, think of beer.

Hi Kevino! That black Tundra belongs to my brother, the owner of Summit. The goggles are his son's and he'd love to get them back. Thanks a lot for the post. (and the skin track......we were still using it today!) pm me when you get a chance and I'll get you in touch with him. Thanks again for exemplifying what a great community this is!

Hey Rusty Knees, thanks for the shout-out to Summit!  He spent the next day at Alpental and loved it. Huge thanks to Kevino for picking up my son's googles and then throwing up a post!

Hey Don, congrats on the new skis.  Happy holiday season to all.
Let's change their name to the Thread Drifters in honor of the direction this TR has gone.   ;)
-When approaching the trailhead and gearing up there, I try to have a song playing that is a good one to get stuck in my head all day.  (I don't use a personal stereo).
-I free my mind by focusing on good posture and micro-adjusting layers or zippers, rather than
the repetition or muscle burn.  With my head up and weight not too far forward, I save energy and can look around more.
-I nibble on pocket snacks, and fine tune poles and grip, while shuffling along.
-Somethimes picking a rest/view/drink spot up ahead somewhere keeps my mind off the burn.  Other times it's, "Put one foot in front of the other, think of something else".
-I find  myself saying, a few times each tour, "2 billion people live on $5 a day or less, and we get to do this!"  Then I always feel good again   ::)

Reply to this TR

11-23-11-hyak-pre-thanksgiving-workout
Don Heath
2011-11-23 20:19:53