Home > Trip Reports > 11-22-2011, Mission temp. closed to uphill traffic

11-22-2011, Mission temp. closed to uphill traffic

11/22/11
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 11/23/11 4:31am
I didn't learn of the early season touring closure at Mission Ridge until today, so I'm going to go ahead and share my fun night-skiing experience from Yesterday.  Bummer that this will be the last night hike at the Ridge until they have full coverage.  I advocate compliance with the desires of mountain management.  Last night was an accident of ignorance.

I left the car after dark. Except for my dog, I was alone at the hill. Not another soul on the mountain. It rained sideways, sometimes uphill, sometimes down. Freezing level was about the bottom of Sunspot. Skins glopped up from Midway to half-way up Sunspot where it was just too gloppy to continue skinning, so I booted the rest of the way. Didn't turn on my headlamp until the top. Took an hour and 2 minutes up. Wind blowing hard enough that I had trouble crossing the run at the top due to my skis acting like a sail and wrenching my pack and twisting me around. I hid in the lee behind the Patrol Shack to put on my puff and switch gloves. On descent, the top 200' was windswept clean, next 200' was AWESOME 6" powder - although it was such a nasty whiteout that I couldn't see anything at all and I had to go super slow to avoid unseen obstacles. Visibility was about fifteen feet I'd guess. From the bottom of Sunspot my feet started to feel heavy and they got heavier and heavier.  I thought it was from the snow stuck on the tops, but cleaning them didn't help. The snow was saturated from the rain and the suction cup affect got more noticeable with lower elevation. With the poor visibility and the super slow sliding rate, plus the apparent flattening of the slope due to the lack of sliding, I couldn't tell where on the mountain I was. I knew the route I was skiing, but I literally couldn't tell if I was above Lip Lip, or if I had already skied upper Tumwater. Sliding slowed to the point where turns became unnecessary and I basically straight-ran from the the elevation of Lower Tyee to the base area. I had to pole and shuffle across the flats at the bottom of Tumwater and again through midway. By the bottom of Mimi the snow was wet enough that I slid freely again, like slush skiing, although here the suction effect was intermittent so one ski would slow and twist me left, and then it would release and maybe the other would suction back, or maybe the same one again. It was a constant rebalancing exercise. Pants totally soaked front and back. Water ran off my jacket sleeves into my gloves. Dog soaked. Four inches of snow caked to the tops of my skis.   :)
I had a great time, but I was glad I hadn't talked anyone into joining me.
Sounds like a solid Cascades experience.  Did the dog come with? 

Can you elaborate on this apparent closure?  Does it have to do with their snowmaking operations?  I could stand behind you on complying for that, grooming, or active avalanche control, but that's about where my respect runs out.

Here is the whole story:

http://www.justgetout.net/Wenatchee/23175

Most compelling is that if the area gets pushed into it, they could post "keep out" signs that are legally enforceable.  The argument that the area has hoses and electric cables across the only skiable run where snowmaking is in progress is pretty good.  The concept that the area paid to make the snow and hikers are using it for free is a little harder to respect.  I'm a pass holder so I participated in the cost of that snow.  It's a good article.  Worth the read.

I never understood the appeal of skinning up/skiing down Mimi/Tumwater/Sunspot. Most people use this route if they go up there and that is what lead to the long standing uphill travel policy, but most people seem to ignore that policy and continue to use that route. I can imagine that it's very frustrating for workers who use that route for snowmaking and other maintenance to constantly have to watch out for skinners and booters while speeding up and down during work hours on down days. Even after snow making has halted it's nice to stay off the main thoroughfare. On the occasion that I go up there for exercise I follow the uphill travel policy or find another route where I know I won't run into staff. Most off the time patrol and mountain ops don't even know I'm there. It only takes a little creativity and common sense to avoid this conflict. My $.02.

I never understood the appeal of skinning up/skiing down Mimi/Tumwater/Sunspot.

Its the only spot with snow right now

On the occasion that I go up there for exercise I follow the uphill travel policy...

I'm pretty sure you prefer the other side of the mountain  ;)

It only takes a little creativity and common sense to avoid this conflict.

In my defense, I did wait until the temps were too high for snow making.  I knew I'd be alone on the hill.

Dude, just a great story though. It would appear that we all are crazy and I wouldn't have it any other way!!!

Thanks for the link Mike.  Good to see that side of the issue at least put something in type, though I think they had to work really hard to invent the idea of inactive snow making equipment on the hill being some kind of advanced danger which the public is incapable of dealing with. 

Reply to this TR

11-22-2011-mission-temp-closed-to-uphill-traffic
mikerolfs
2011-11-23 12:31:39