Home > Trip Reports > November 20, 2011, Hurricane Hill ONP now with PIX

November 20, 2011, Hurricane Hill ONP now with PIX

11/20/11
WA Olympics
Posted by telemack on 11/20/11 12:44pm
After I XC skied at the Ridge yesterday and partied with the locals at their Winterfest fundraiser, GaryJan, Jeff, chimneyboy and I got out onto several aspects of Hurricane Hill.  We found light hoarfrost-lathered pow on the NE side, fluff to crud on the SE, and then soft to crust to soft down the biggest upper bowl.  Definitely a bit of a slide layer under the fresh, but a decent base in most places.  Brisk!  Either some rain/wet snow will smack down the buried surface hoar, or maybe we'll just get dumped on all week.
Telemack--Nice to hear you made it out!  Sorry I wasn't able to make it.  I'm super excited about the falling snow though.  Winter is here.  It'll be interesting to see if this cold air will lead to some deadly depth hoar near the ground.  Was there any delay in the road opening?

We went through the gate before 9 am.

Party on Garth!

Hey Mack,
Good summary of the weekend. 

Thanks for joining us for Winterfest, early reports suggest the event exceeded our expectations.  :)

Sunday was an enjoyable day of touring. A good combination of aerobic exercise intermixed with some sweet turns.

Here are a few pictures;

1. Tyler dropping the north side of Hurricane Hill
   2. Jan breaking trail, Jeff close behind
   3. Mack stylin' as only a telemarker can.............

I'll post a link to a few more pix as time allows.

Gary

Thanks Gary for some photos; great snow for Nov. with even a "micro-base". 

author=telemack link=topic=22412.msg95869#msg95869 date=1322007680]
Thanks Gary for some photos; great snow for Nov. with even a "micro-base". 

Conditions were surprisingly good given the limited snow fall. Any November day which doesn't result in a core shot or two is a good one.  ::)

This trip marked 24 consecutive months of skiing in Olympics for me and 26 months overall for both Tyler and me.

Here's a link to a few more pictures from Sunday.

https://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20111120HurricaneHillSkiTour

Gary

author=GaryJan link=topic=22412.msg95885#msg95885 date=1322030220]

This trip marked 24 consecutive months of skiing in Olympics for me and 26 months overall for both Tyler and me.

Oh wow!  You guys are my heros. 24 months in the Olympics.  Would you divulge your secret places for some of my wife's chocolate chip cookies?  ;)

Beautiful pictures.  Thanks for sharing, this really motivates me to hit the Olympics more.

Reply to this TR

november-20-2011-hurricane-hill-onp-now-with-pix
telemack
2011-11-20 20:44:15