Home > Trip Reports > November 20, 2011, Summit Central

November 20, 2011, Summit Central

11/20/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 11/20/11 7:45am
I originally planned to ski at Hyak but I looked at the front face of Hyak and it loooked like they held a "figure 8" competition on the visible slopes.  Also there were numerous tourers on the slopes and in the parking area.  Went to Central and it was a quiet and lonely scene.  I did see a few folks on touring gear but there were more ski patrollers near their building.  The snowcats have been grooming the slopes and the terrain park. They were also running a snowmaking machine in the lower terrain park along the eastern slopes.  There were numerous untracked sections in the entire area which provided 6-8" of powder turns.  The temperatures remained cold and the sun was visible until early afternoon.  These early season ski area tours highlight the numerous creeks and terrain features that eventually disappear as the snow pack increases. There's still a lot of unfriendly terrain features visible. The quality of the snow was excellent.
i'm about ready to give it up and sell our AT gear because of all our injuries but you make me think we should give it another shot

author=kath link=topic=22404.msg95721#msg95721 date=1321833896]
i'm about ready to give it up and sell our AT gear because of all our injuries but you make me think we should give it another shot

Hi Kath, I do understand the feeling especially after all the injuries Jill and I have experienced in the last year.  Hopefully, you and Robert have recovered.  I find that being in our mid 60's we just don't heal as fast and are more cautious about terrain selection and conditions. Thanks to Medicare, we can rebuild some of the damage.  ;)

Hi Zap, I was one of the others on AT gear and have to say/agree that the conditions where really nice.  A lot of untracked turns available and the quality of the snow was great - as was the sunshine.  I also did a check of Hyak and it looked busy and tracked out...& maybe even more unfriendly terrain features.

Reply to this TR

november-20-2011-summit-central
Zap
2011-11-20 15:45:44