Home > Trip Reports > Nov 17, 2011, Snoqualmie Pass, Summit Conditions

Nov 17, 2011, Snoqualmie Pass, Summit Conditions

11/17/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by andybrnr on 11/17/11 4:01am
Left Seattle at 0400 for a dawn patrol with gmark around Snoqualmie Pass. Checked out Alpy, but based on reports that they would be doing control at some point and the uninspiring looking scrub bush poking through the lower slope, we headed over to Summit West for some quick laps in order to make it back to UW for late morning class. Sadly, while easterly flow through the pass kept surface temps down, the overriding warm front that passed through last night dumped quite a bit of rain into the cold surface layer, resulting in a thick freezing rain crust with a 1/2" of graupel powder on top. Undaunted and eager to try out my new setup of Sportiva Hi5s and RT bindings, we headed up to the top, bushwhacked the ridge over to Beaver lake, then up to the lodge on the adjacent peak. Stripped skins/racked snowshoes and skied back down to the base on the firm, groomed snow, then headed up for one more lap before cruising back to the car. Hopefully conditions farther north and at higher elevations were unaffected by the freezing rain; not much accumulation between 3000 and 3700 ft. Will tack on some pics later.
Thanks for the insight about the rain crust.  So how did your new setup handle the conditions ?

Skinned up and descended Hyak yesterday AM for dawn patrol, and noted the same conditions: About 2.5 feet of snow at top of Hyak, with 1 - 2" of fresh on top of the rain crust.  Made for some tough skiing, as you had to stay on top to prevent getting submarined by the crust.

All in all, a great way to kickoff the season.  Looking forward to more turns as the white stuff keeps falling!

Note to those trying Hyak: There are a few exposed creeks that you have to navigate around/over on the face of the hill, and the large dips in the terrain are not yet filled in.  Check your speed if visibility is poor, as you don't want to hit one of those dips moving too quickly. I did, and put my chin into my knees.  Ouch.

Zap,

Hi5s aren't exactly billed as hardpack skis, but they don't appear to have real negatives there other than a speed limit. My ski all last year was a Mustagh Ata SL in 178, which I liked pretty well in anything but really deep powder, where I wanted more float. Amount of rocker on the tips of the Hi5 makes it feel shorter than the nominal 178 on hardpack, and it seems pretty nimble. Nice and light for a 105 waist setup, the RT bindings were fine, though I need to get used to reaching down to change the heel lift, as you can't get a pole tip in like you can with Dynafit TLT Vert ST bindings. Looking forward to skiing them this weekend in better conditions.

Reply to this TR

nov-17-2011-snoqualmie-pass-summit-conditions
andybrnr
2011-11-17 12:01:01