Home > Trip Reports > 11-15 - Table Mt, Baker Ski Area

11-15 - Table Mt, Baker Ski Area

11/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by n16ht5 on 11/15/11 12:22pm
Joey and I headed up 542 for Table Mt. Excellent skiing today.

More photos here:

Awesome photos.  Looks like you timed the weather window nicely.

Conditions were pretty nice for this time of year.  There was a fair bit of wind packed snow with 4-6 inches of sugary wind blown snow in between the ribs in the chutes.  The south facing slopes of Herman still need some time to fill in. 

We saw a few groups out. About 6-10 people were taking runs in the chutes proper. There were many others climbing in the resort.  The chairs were running for ski patrol. 

It was a gorgeous day and I love the Terrain of the chute.  One issue I have is there are always people hiking in the skin track.  It's just bad form but I guess that is what you get with a plethora of snowboarders (of which I am one) and access so close to the ski area. 

The image below shows our three runs. 

author=jpLingo link=topic=22325.msg95477#msg95477 date=1321481658]
One issue I have is there are always people hiking in the skin track.  It's just bad form but I guess that is what you get with a plethora of snowboarders (of which I am one) and access so close to the ski area. 

Family Feud #1 answer for what pisses Joe off most in the backcountry ...but what can you do? Beats hanging from a cross and asking God to forgive them, for they know not what they do.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=22325.msg95504#msg95504 date=1321542808]
Family Feud #1 answer for what pisses Joe off most in the backcountry ...but what can you do? Beats hanging from a cross and asking God to forgive them, for they know not what they do.

I thought #1 was when somebody crossed you ski tracks???? I'm getting confused again!

why would that bother anyone? ^^

I have skied from the Baker parking lot numerous times and for the first bit (Blueberry Shoots/Table Mtn/Swift Creek) there are always people simply hiking out using the easiest route (the skin track). Obviously poor etiquette, but just something one has to deal with. Going beyond these areas usually means next to zero foot traffic. Think of it this way: they may be mucking up the skin track, but they are likely more staunch advocates for protecting wilderness areas....

author=Glorificus Adventum link=topic=22325.msg95647#msg95647 date=1321683934]
I have skied from the Baker parking lot numerous times and for the first bit (Blueberry Shoots/Table Mtn/Swift Creek) there are always people simply hiking out using the easiest route (the skin track). Obviously poor etiquette, but just something one has to deal with. Going beyond these areas usually means next to zero foot traffic. Think of it this way: they may be mucking up the skin track, but they are likely more staunch advocates for protecting wilderness areas....

I agree about having advocates in the BC. I could understand why peoples are hiking in tracks because at least they post hole less for such good turns. Your right about getting deeper in.  I would consider this area sidecountry more then backcountry when it really comes down to it.  Some nuisance for many sweet turns. 

Reply to this TR

11-15-table-mt-baker-ski-area
n16ht5
2011-11-15 20:22:12