Home > Trip Reports > November 10,11, 2011, Ruth Mt., Heliotrope

November 10,11, 2011, Ruth Mt., Heliotrope

11/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by jtack on 11/14/11 6:14am
This information is probably not worth too much, since it was snowing like crazy as I drove home on the 11th.  Hiked in about 6 inches of crusted snow to Hannegan Pass, put the skis on there for the nasty climb to the ridge, steep and brushy, once above the trees and brush it was a nice ski.  It was breakable crust all the way to 6600 where I turned around. Visibility went to zero, when the clouds moved in and I was not too excited to ski anymore breakable crust.  Tried a different rout  back to the trail via Hannegan camp, and it wan not any better but steeper, and more rock.  On schedule, as I reached the trail the clouds parted, and the summit was clear and beautiful.  Ran into some nice guys on my way out, and ended up having a nice visit.  The real news is that any new snow that falls on this sun crust  will likely be poorly bonded, and bare watching.  Spent the night at Heliotrope trail head, woke to 31 1/2 degree snow, it was a slow start at daylight with the weather dampening my resolve.  The trail was mostly melted out so boots were the order of the day.  By the time I made the tree line the snow was nice enough but visibility was again poor, hiked about 600 vertical, and feeling timid I skied down and called it a day.  It was definably building snow in a hurry, but again the real news is the sun crust, and given the new snow temperature was relatively cold,  I would say the chances are good that there is going to be a weak bond between the new snow and the older sun crusted layer below.  Had two meals at Chair 9, the pizza was fine, the beer cold and the patrons and staff were friendly.  Pictures; Ruth Mt., peak just to the west of Ruth, Baker in Lunar lite

Reply to this TR

november-10-11-2011-ruth-mt-heliotrope
jtack
2011-11-14 14:14:48