Home > Trip Reports > January 25, 2005, The Pineapple and the Damage Done

January 25, 2005, The Pineapple and the Damage Done

1/25/05
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by sb on 1/25/05 5:12am
I just went up to Artist Point for the afternoon; too small a trip to merit a TR but good for assessing what's left of our skiing.  It is still possible to stay on snow continuously from the upper lot to Artist Point - but there is a lot of pavement showing on the road - simply unbelievable for January at Baker Ski Area.  The summit pyramid of Shuksan looks freshly snow plastered.  Very nice. Below that it doesn't look so fresh. Ptarmigan Ridge to Coleman Pinnacle looks good still; that would be my top pick.  Goat Peak is solidly covered from about 4500 ft. up.  That would require a 2,000 vf haul up to start skiing but it would be worth it for a long day.  I think Mt. Herman can be done bottom to top continuously on snow.  Probably that is not so for Mt Anne.  Baker itself might be a good call if the weather permits.  Probably one can drive to the Heliotrope trailhead and somewhere up there there is 10+ feet of new snow.  The snow at Artist Point was wet and summerlike.  Not too bad if you went down it before it started refreezing (I didn't).
Thanks SB

I've been looking for a report from Baker...sounds like all is not lost.

Thanks for the scouting, Steve.

I suspect that the Roman Wall might be epic!

Care to elaborate, Tim? Epic as in terribly scary avalanche potential?

All depends on whether you can hit the railslide down the pumice ridge, in which case your total awesomeness, could, like, save your life.

Anyone want to go find out?

Saturday: Morning clouds...becoming partly sunny. Chance of showers. Snow level 3000 feet.

Saturday night: Partly cloudy. Areas of fog after midnight. Freezing level 4500 feet.

Sunday: Mostly sunny. Areas of morning fog. Freezing level 5500 feet.

I was thinking about it. What's your idea Phil?

I dunno... day trip Sunday?  I guess the forecast means nothing now, but I know better than to go up Baker with a "Morning clouds... becoming partly sunny" :-)

Probably an ice sheet from 8000ft on down...

The GC road is open to within 1/2 mile of the parking lot, but the CD might be a bit icy.  The Easton route might be corn on Sunday. Neither sounds like a day trip to me.

This  day trip was after a January Pineapple Express, but with much more snow overall.  Dave and I skied rock-hard ice from the summit all the way to the car.  I wouldn't expect it to be any better now.  Not that the ski mountaineering adventure isn't worth it in and of itself.  I would also think that crevasse bridges should be pretty solid right now.

Although you never know...

I'm down for a day trip this weekend.

Corn? I doubt it. We have a better chance of finding fresh snow above 6k.

at least you wont have a foot of fresh to break through like last time, eh phil?  ;)

at least you wont have a foot of fresh to break through like last time, eh phil?  ;)

I dunno - Baker resort has gotten over an inch of rain since yesterday, at temps between 35 and 40.  Could be deep on the Coleman  ;)

Snowing lightly at 11am at the ski area today. Dust on crust, anyone?

Will report back.  8)

Bring it on Pineapple Express!! Might as well finish the job:  Melt all thee snow on thee mountains!  There's always water skiing, wakeboarding, or perhaps water teli skiing!  :D Oh yeah!

Reply to this TR

january-25-2005-the-pineapple-and-the-damage-done
sb
2005-01-25 13:12:27