Home > Trip Reports > Nov 10, ONP Obstruction ..Fischer Tracks?

Nov 10, ONP Obstruction ..Fischer Tracks?

11/15/11
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 11/10/11 11:45am
Biked out through patches of snow and ice and found some pretty decent turns on one of the remaining alpine glaciers to the south of Obst. A couple of inches of wind affected snow on ice but turns none the less. That Whippet came in really handy today :)

Ideal tracking conditions. Here are a couple unusual ones I found on the way out?

Beautiful out there today!

I believe those are mountain lion tracks. The five-toed track is produced by a front paw stepping in the hind track. I saw a sort of weasel-family shape also, but I ran it by a friend who literally wrote the (a) book on the topic. Here is a link to a good photo of a marten track in snow, which is a decent stand-in for a fisher track; you'll also find a clear image of a mountain lion track.

http://davidmoskowitz.blogspot.com/2010/01/tracks-in-snow-winter-2009-2010.html

Last time I sent him "wolverine" tracks they were mountain lion tracks. But I have found wolverines and other mustelid tracks, so I never give up.

Cheers!

Looks like you made the best of a great fall day and the new snow.  :D

Didn't take you long to try out the new Whippet, I will be interested to hear "the rest of the story".  ;)

Gary

Is that the power assisted bike that passed us on the obstruction pt. rd a few years back?

Hard to get too much of an idea of relative size, but if they are big, (looking at your one with your foot in it) I would agree they are Cougar, but Fisher do step like that.  When I take pictures of tracks I use mt pocket knife for scale. Thanks for the pictures.

I don't think the tracks are cat. Cat tracks have four front pads, the whole print is circular and you won't see claw prints like you will with a dog. Circular, no claw marks, and around 3-4 inches are classic sign of cat, according to a partner of mine. She can easily tell cat from dog. It's not important at home, but in BC, on the coast of Vancouver Island, it translates to cougar and wolf. A great friend to travel with.

Did you look for a tail draging print from the critter tracks here?
What is the track? AND
Is your bike electric?

Uh, uh. I did't read carefully. Five pads when the front and rear pads are transposed, good to think about. 
I can tell bear tracks when I see bear walking by.
I love travel partners,(human.)

It's a wildcat.

fischer trax would've been sweet since they are so rare ..

wolverines are awesome too forest .. have you shared them with conservation nw .. if not, please do 

Reply to this TR

nov-10-onp-obstruction-fischer-tracks
runcle
2011-11-10 19:45:35