Home > Forum > After the Pineapple passes

After the Pineapple passes

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
23 Jan 2005 04:35 #170634 by Alan Brunelle
After the Pineapple passes was created by Alan Brunelle
One of the trademarks of this year's weather pattern(s) seems to be how persistent each segment is once established. Unfortunately, none of these segments (either the split flow sending snow very far north and south of our area and the El Nino) are good for conditions in our mountains.<br><br>What gets me frustrated today is what I see in the models for the coming week. What was supposed to be a fairly vigorous front clearing our area monday to restore our climate to near normal for the following week is now forecast to start a new ridge/split flow pattern a la the glancing blows we sustained for the month prior to this current pineapple. This is essentially the same experience we had prior to the express earlier in the year that essentially ended hopes for ski area openings in late November. So, not only are these shorter term segments persistant, but the whole season seems to be a very persistant repetition of these segments. Also, in my living here, since '93, I have never seen a pineapple express last this long.<br><br>Cool and dry then warm and wet... I hope this year can start singing a different tune. Last year we had threads on the changing nature of snowfall and snowpack here in the PNW, and at this point I am getting a little frustrated. Sorry for negativity, but I just need to vent a little. I hope we have a wetter and cooler spring than normal....<br><br>I know that there are those who report on this site about climatological trends. If there ever was such a persistent weather pattern here, what was the outcome for late winter and spring? Or at this point I might have to worry about what snow we can eke out as late as early summer!<br><br>Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
23 Jan 2005 07:49 #170640 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: After the Pineapple passes
Check out the data from snowfall totals from 1930 to 2004. The one good thing that I've seen is that it is very rare to have back-to-back seasons of less then 300" (Snoqualmie). This has only occured one time since 1947 and that was the 91/92 and 92/93 seasons. I can at least take this info and feel better about getting my season pass next year. I know it is not a guarantee of good snow next season, but the odds are in our favor.<br><br>hyak.net/snowfallhist.html

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
23 Jan 2005 11:50 #170644 by Alan Brunelle
Replied by Alan Brunelle on topic Re: After the Pineapple passes
I hope you are right, otherwise....<br><br>Do they charge if you hike up Mini Mountain on your AT gear?