Home > Trip Reports > January 19-20, 2005, Sasse Ridge

January 19-20, 2005, Sasse Ridge

1/19/05
Posted by Larry_R on 1/20/05 3:51pm
What a difference one week can make!

Last week (Fri, 14th) it was 9 degrees when I left my tent at 6:30 am and started up from the campsite. By the time I got to my high point, it was 3 degrees and snowing. Wonderful snow crystals at least. I was hoping that there would now be enough snow to ski the frontside clear cut, but it was not quite ready.

This week, the loss to the snowpack was amazing, and because of a temperature inversion it was worse higher up. 54 deg. at my camp in the afternoon. The frontside and the upper bowl just over the ridge are now nearly bare. Usually these areas have maybe at least 3 feet or more of consolidated snowpack by now.

So it may be Plan B for the rest of the season: the idea might have to be touring, not turns.

If I get a chance maybe I'll add a picture from yesterday looking east over the Teanaway from Sasse Ridge. Even Fortune Mtn (~7300') had lots of rocks showing as best I could judge. It should have been pure glistening white now.

Larry
How was the coverage and snow surface on the logging roads?  Where there large bare spots?

Thanks for the report Larry. How much snow was left down around the snopark elevation (if any)? Also, if you got a look, could you describe the snowpack right around Snoqualmie Pass?

Charles and Randy,

There were a few bare spots on Rd 4315, mostly higher up; more snow lower actually. I was able to ski all the way from the ridge top (~5150 ft elv.) to the valley floor at the time however. In some spots the coverage was down to a few inches. Had to walk part of the road higher up.

Since I was there last it has continued to be exceptionally warm, and I would not be surprised if significant portions of the road are now melted out, or will be after this next period of rain.

Coverage on the valley floor wasn't all that bad. Maybe a foot or so of dense granular snow. I didn't get a close look at the area around Snoqualmie pass other than to see that it was exceptionally bare. Yesterday I could see the west side of Granite Mtn. from the Burien area, as well as McClellan Peak. They were both all brown, right to the top!

Larry

"could you describe the snowpack right around Snoqualmie Pass?"

Cabin Creek SnoPark right now will surprise anyone with its very good conditions on their lower trail system.  The diligent trail maintenance work by the Konigsberger ski club et. al. with all the ditches dug alongside much of the trails has kept the rain from cutting through.  My friends Marla, Chris and I skated about 20K at Cabin Creek after doing volunteer trail maintenance work on the lower loops at the Snoqualmie Nordic Center.  Stay off the Osbawldy (sp?) upper loop and that groomed trail up Mt. Amabalis.  The trails were groomed 1/21.

The "Road Trail" (4.3 k round trip) of their system could take, I would venture to guess, another good week of rain beating and still be a decent ski for cross-training. It's a fantastic wide trail to practice your V2. :)

Reply to this TR

january-19-20-2005-sasse-ridge
Larry_R
2005-01-20 23:51:20