Home > Trip Reports > November 3, 2011, Heliotrope Ridge. 12 Pow

November 3, 2011, Heliotrope Ridge. 12 Pow

11/3/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by bwalt822 on 11/3/11 12:11pm
The thought of having to work today with a clear forecast and a foot of new snow was making me sick so I went to see Dr. White.  I couldn't make it all the way to the trailhead and had to stop about a quarter mile short where the NWFP sign is.  4WD definitely recommended unless you want to hike further.  The trail was skinnable for me but it looked like the other 4 people booted it to somewhere on or above the hogsback.  With all of the foot traffic its probably not wise to skin the trail anymore without new snow.  Any terrain on summer snow had from 6-12"+ of awesome dry powder with no worries of hitting rocks.  Anything below the summer snow was a rock minefield but skiable.  With rock skis you should be able to ski back to the tree line if you are careful.  The snow should still be great tomorrow as clouds blocked the sun about 75% of the time, it was cold, and the terrain is facing north.  Its a long hike up but definitely worth it.  My phone decided not to actually record the pictures I took, sorry.
Sounds awful, thanks!

Reply to this TR

november-3-2011-heliotrope-ridge-12-pow
bwalt822
2011-11-03 19:11:42