Home > Trip Reports > 11-1-11, Rock (hwy2)

11-1-11, Rock (hwy2)

11/1/11
Posted by alecapone on 11/2/11 12:39am
Hiked the summer trail for too long before hitting snow right where the trail eases off at the first ridge line. great skinning from there on out. made it all the way to the summit, but had to carry back to ridable lines since the summit gullies where not full.

snow was variable, with a majority being nice powder, and an occasional scoured ice spot, or crust. made three laps from the ridge down to just above above Rock lake in mini gullies filled with nice light snow. then one run on the south facing meadow back to the ridge.
I only brought my toy camera along. sorry for the grEEOn pictures

Nice!  Looks like a perfect day for the doggie too.

yes. hero dog snow... cautious human snow.

A few to several inches on a nice firm existing base. too variable to call. No rocks where hit.  Wind definatly depostied a lot of snow in the bowl... north slopes looked baren, and west needs more snow too. Zero wind throughout the day.

note, these are short michigan length runs of only several hundred feet or so? great workout and transition practice.

also.. don't try and drive up smithbrooke anymore this year without 4x4 or chains. ::)

The green color is making me queasy!
Michigan length runs= nice addition to the vernacular.

How was your day?
Not bad... we got in a few Michigans and then finished the day with a Revy!

author=Scotsman link=topic=22137.msg94721#msg94721 date=1320260304]

Not bad... we got in a few Michigans and then finished the day with a Revy!

I love it.  I grew up in MI where the XC is excellent, but the downhill....leaves something to be desired.  I remind myself that everytime conditions are less than enjoyable....at least I'm not skiing on a 300' former landfill (Mt Holly).

Ha..

a revy is a real thigh burner! I'll lay of the green camera next time.

I first skied pine knob at the age of 16 in a sort of 'hood's in the woods thing".  Low light of all my days was at the still very warm landfill down near Wyandotte.  michigan lengt runs seemed appropriate since they ranged between 900' mt bohemia, and 300', alpine valley(where I first skied with m lady).

I was considering calling them 'colorado type couloirs' since they where just wind filled gullies.

glad to see the pup is getting bigger!!  Come up north to bham soon to head out with frank & I.  I'll be down to school 2 days a week next quarter, and will need something to do

- steph

Good one Scott!  Rock Mtn. is always fun early season, but you have to work for it.  Scenic too.

Looks bony compared to when Kyle and I skied it in November 2009

Nice one Scott!

yes! Michigan! Another expat here, Mt Brighton and Marquette mostly, thought I did hike at Bohemia a few times before they put lifts in.

I like the green pictures, they look old-timey!

Yeah Steph!  tried so hard to get out with Frankie and Seth lst season. Them two where quietly killing it last year. Other then Grouse creek, most we managed was me playing you on the front of the snowmobile. 

I remember that pic John. Had delusions it would be that filled when I got up there.

I like the ole tyme look too. Cheap Android app, but I think it does best with reds and greens.

find the 2 climbers...free solo bad asses.

these  two go together.

Nice work! Any chance by this weekend those gullies will be close to being full, or still a ways off? (Expecting 1/2" to 1" per day between now and then)

That looks great!  Nice one.

Hope to see you at the NWAC Snowbash tonight Scott.
I want to ask you some questions about this area.

Reply to this TR

11-1-11-rock-hwy2
alecapone
2011-11-02 07:39:07