Home > Trip Reports > November 1, 2011, MRNP, Bluebird at Muir

November 1, 2011, MRNP, Bluebird at Muir

11/1/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by andybrnr on 11/1/11 9:06am
Took advantage of the weather window to head out with partner Mark from Seattle at 0500. At Paradise lot by 0715, on the trail by 0730. About an inch of fresh snow in the parking lot, with approx 2-4" around Pan Point, but I hiked up to Pebble Creek before switching to skinning (Mark hauled an alpine setup on his pack all the way and still beat me by 5-10 mins, so I clearly have to focus on some cardio training). Snow was a couple inches of wind buffed powder over hard crust from pebble creek, with a gradual transition to bullet proof ice by ~9000ft. I brought both full and ski crampons "just in case", and we used both above ~9000, and it would have been nearly impassable without (Mark was initially trying to kick steps, which took about 7 kicks for a small toe hold, when it worked at all). We were making good time before the ice shenanigans, and the smart move would have been crampons around 8500ft, but even with the gear fidgeting, we were up by 1115. Fantastic visibility was the rule today, with views all the way to Mt. Jefferson on the far horizon. While in camp, we delicately tried to clean off the ice accumulation from the Camp Muir Webcam with a whippet, and appear to have at least partially succeeded... but that thing needs a heated housing or something.

Started descent around 1200. The top thousand feet was an ice rink, but as the altimeter wound down the wind buffed pow took over, and the last 1500ft were quite pleasant. Switched back to hiking at Pebble Creek, and were back at the car by 1345. Nice to start the new season off after last touring at the end of July... hopefully I'll manage TAY in the next 12 months. Mark has the pics, will try to add a few later.
Here are a few pictures.  Didn't take any during the ski

Reply to this TR

november-1-2011-mrnp-bluebird-at-muir
andybrnr
2011-11-01 16:06:52