Home > Trip Reports > Oct 29, 2011, Heliotrope Ridge

Oct 29, 2011, Heliotrope Ridge

10/29/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by cityhick on 10/29/11 10:25am
Feeling self conscious about my lurker status on TAY around the likes of prolific posters chmnyboy and skier8484, I figured I should probably kick off the TR from today's outing.

After enviously oogling all the tasty midweek trip reports and knowing I only have a couple weeks left in the Northwest, I decided to embrace a marginal forecast and make a day of it at the uberunderground early season destination that is Heliotrope Ridge. With Brian recently returned after 7 months of recovering from a broken leg there was all the more reason to head for the alpine.

The thing about forecasts, is that they are usually wrong (especially when they come from NOAA). When that forecast is marginal, it makes for a wonderfully unexpected day of smooth, consistent (and wicked fast!) wind bough under clear skies. Great first day of the season!

here's some high definition moving images from the day for your viewing pleasure
Looks fun!  Nice video too!

Good one! I hope you have a fast recovery on your leg!

Nice video Sam!  It's hard to describe how good today felt on so many levels.  Needless to say it was great to be back on snow after a 7 month hiatus.  Month 1 is in the books ;)

Couple stills from today's action:

THANK YOU - Just what I needed after 15 hours at work

author=skier8484 link=topic=22107.msg94602#msg94602 date=1319958277]
Couple stills from today's action:

That second shot is super sweet!

Nice video too. 

expectations < reality

Way to get it.  Big ups for venturing with the coin flip forecast.

Reply to this TR

oct-29-2011-heliotrope-ridge
cityhick
2011-10-29 17:25:34