Home > Forum > ultralight skis

ultralight skis

• jackal
  • [jackal]
More
17 Oct 2011 21:25 #202063 by jackal
ultralight skis was created by jackal
I was deciding which skis to bring for a hike out to Coleman Pinnacle area knowing we'd just be yo-yoing small slopes and there staring me in the face were my skate skis. Hmmm, 35-42-38, not fat, no edges, but oh so light and easy to tele on if there's thin carvable snow. Turned out to be the perfect choice! It was like carrying a light day pack. Highly recommended for limited tours where the objective is not getting the best turns but having an easy care-free day.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
17 Oct 2011 21:38 #202064 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: ultralight skis
I think you just out-Barnetted Steve Barnett!

More
18 Oct 2011 02:55 #202068 by E_N
Replied by E_N on topic Re: ultralight skis
Seems like an appropriate time to poke fun at you for having a pack with such a heavy waist belt :)

• jackal
  • [jackal]
More
18 Oct 2011 05:49 #202069 by jackal
Replied by jackal on topic Re: ultralight skis

Seems like an appropriate time to poke fun at you for having a pack with such a heavy waist belt :)

True -- the pack was heavier than the skis. This setup needs an approach pack & trail runners on the feet.

• Snoqualmonix
  • [alpinemorg]
More
18 Oct 2011 12:07 #202047 by Snoqualmonix
Replied by Snoqualmonix on topic Re: ultralight skis

I think you just out-Barnetted Steve Barnett!

;D Not till we see this pic in the TR:
Cross Country Downhill

More
18 Oct 2011 12:53 - 18 Oct 2011 13:02 #202066 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: ultralight skis
seems like a good thread to post this

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
24 Oct 2011 22:16 #202130 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: ultralight skis
Somehow even my selective memory can't let me get away with thinking I looked anything close to that smooth on those little NNN pencils in the VT hardwoods back in the day. Dude rips. But, like all of us (except Steve B), he progressed to the fatties, even though they don't run uphill without skins.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
25 Oct 2011 15:07 #202137 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: ultralight skis

Somehow even my selective memory can't let me get away with thinking I looked anything close to that smooth on those little NNN pencils in the VT hardwoods back in the day.  Dude rips.  But, like all of us (except Steve B), he progressed to the fatties, even though they don't run uphill without skins.

SB upgraded to heavier equipment for some of his skiing. I think he was on Atomic TM-22s (or maybe something slightly smaller) with 3 pins when we skied Silver Star decades ago. Nils Larson and Don Portman can tele on NNN too, as well as on heavier gear. Nils finally went to plastic from super comps, I believe, for his heavier gear.

More
25 Oct 2011 16:57 #202091 by davidG
Replied by davidG on topic Re: ultralight skis
calling frankentele... joedaB, are you there..? give us an adaptor / retrofit for T1s or similar and i'll put triple Ns on the new bc Vectors i've got coming. really, i'll do it..

More
02 Nov 2011 09:14 #202267 by RossB
Replied by RossB on topic Re: ultralight skis
What an excellent thread. I do almost all of my skiing on Fischer Inbound Crown, which I believe are the same skis shown in that great video. Side Note: I wish I could ski that well. The skis are very light, as are the boots and bindings. They have a bit more sidecut and width than the skis you used, jackal, in that they are 68-58-64. I know that doesn't seem like much, but it makes it much easier to turn than track oriented skis (whether the long traditional Nordic ones or modern shorter skis). The skis are great for the logging roads, but I've used them to get to Artist Point, Burroughs, Park Butte and a few other places where I look out of place. I sometimes get into terrain that is a bit more than the skis (or I) can handle, but I usually manage to traverse my way out of it (and when that fails, I fall down a lot). I was curious about the weight a while ago, so I weighed all my gear and put it on a spreadsheet here: docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjM...Z3c&authkey=CMeC-uoO
I wish I had heavier/beefier gear to compare it to, so if you any of you folks want to give me some of your AT or Telemark gear... :)

More
02 Nov 2011 18:52 #202270 by sb
Replied by sb on topic Re: ultralight skis
Every once in a while I get out-lighted by Don Portman or Tod Eastman, both of whom ski with unmatched beauty on their racing sticks. Tod goes out to Sholes Glacier past Coleman Pinnacle most summers on a very fast out and back trip on his race skis.

More
02 Nov 2011 19:52 #202272 by davidG

... I was curious about the weight a while ago, so I weighed all my gear and put it on a spreadsheet here: docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjM...Z3c&authkey=CMeC-uoO
I wish I had heavier/beefier gear to compare it to, so if you any of you folks want to give me some of your AT or Telemark gear... :)

This guy has some spreadsheet info on 'BC' ski weights. 
nebackcountry.blogspot.com/2011/10/2011-...comparison.html#more

More
02 Nov 2011 21:11 #202273 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: ultralight skis
Seems like tomorrow might be a good day to nose into Grand Park. I like to get up there on 3-pin "skinny stix " either early or late in the year .

More
29 Dec 2011 13:58 #203173 by davidG
just stumbled across a nice table of info from the TelemarkSki.com  folks.  not all about ultralight, though..

www.telemarkski.com/html/ski_comparison_chart.html

• all mtn
  • [all mtn]
More
30 Dec 2011 15:45 - 30 Dec 2011 15:50 #203193 by all mtn
Replied by all mtn on topic Re: ultralight skis
- ski the Mooooon ! Salomon snow blades w/ bail binders are light, but need a plastic boot, unless you put those skate binders on !!!

More
31 Dec 2011 00:28 #203196 by guynoir
Replied by guynoir on topic Re: ultralight skis
This thread, and the video from Japan, makes me see West Virginia in my dreams. Way to bring memories to the forefront. I haven't had a free heel in five years. Now that my sweetheart is on free heel gear, maybe I'll re-convert.

Have fun staying light on your feet...Jim