Home > Trip Reports > October 15, 2011, Spray Park

October 15, 2011, Spray Park

10/15/11
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 10/15/11 1:07pm
Dreamt of finding Heliotrope-like powder on the shady side of Tahoma, but it was not to be.

Smooth and fast edgeable rain(?)crust dominated snow conditions. Watched some folk rip it up (if you dropped into the Russell at 3pm, PM me for photos) before I skittered down from Observation Rock. Sun softened some aspects a little, but only south aspects got soft. Didn't see faceting in the new snow.

I avoided the Flett Headwall; it was skiable by some. A slip would've taken a long ride.

Snow started in the Park proper. I put on ski boots near the trail junction. Ski tracks give the efficient route up (mind the tundra on the way home).

Bear tracks, solitude, and views made the trip worth it.

Flettophiles - if you've not seen
That tele skier in your Russel shot is me! Would love any photos of our group.

Beautiful day out there!

Matt

Hi Charlie-

I was in the group of 3 you passed on the way out just before the Spray Park trailhead. Nice to meet you!

We stopped below the Flett headwall due to hard snow conditions and waited for things to soften-didn't really happen. Made for a pretty chattery run down towards Spray Park. We didn't find the north-facing powder we were hoping for, but it was a beautiful day on the mountain nonetheless!

That old Flett TR you found is scary. Just goes to show that carrying your avy safety kit and having your avy awareness on high is prudent at all times, even in the fall, thanks for finding and posting that info.

2nd Photo is just unbelievable.  GREAT shot!

Thank you for posting a reminder about the 2004 event. Every single year since then I think about that when considering early season enthusiasm.

Late morning skinning on the snowfield below the Flett glacier (nice sheen and zero ski penetration indicative of firm conditions).

Reply to this TR

october-15-2011-spray-park
Charlie Hagedorn
2011-10-15 20:07:03