Home > Forum > January 14, 2005, Mt Baker - BLUEBIRD!

January 14, 2005, Mt Baker - BLUEBIRD!

• snoslut
  • [boarddude]
More
14 Jan 2005 17:49 - 14 Jan 2005 18:16 #211778 by snoslut
Decided to head to Baker with Mike and his friend Steve.  Pulled up near the base of C7 to blue skies.  Temp posted on the sign said 10 degrees & 1" new.  Got geared up & stood around for 15min then the lifts opened.  We carved some fresh cords to C8.  On the way up we were pleased to see all the possible line options off the arm.  Patrol shouted from a chair back that they triggered a slide while trying to pack a trail up Hemi's.  Evidence of the slide was still visible beneath the new snow.  He also warned us about 2 weak layers.  One around the December crust about 3-4ft down & one anywhere from 1-2ft from the surface.  Was hard to hear him.  As we started to climb we noticed hoar frost which was on everything that wasn't getting blown by the wind.  <br><br>So up we climbed, step after step until we reached the junction.  Since no one had broke trail to top of Hemi's we gave it a try.  Didn't get too far before we decided to turn around.  Found some instability trying to climb the steeper section.  Top foot or so was resting on a layer 1-2" thick that Mike cleared with his hand effortlessly.  Also the clear night really help cool temps & sucked all the moisture out of the snowpack.  It was knee to thigh deep.  So we started to make our way along the arm.  About a mile or so down we found our line.  Before we dropped in an unknown boarder decided to push the limits amongst his buds & huck some cliffs beneath a knoll.  1st turn found a rock, 2nd turn starts a sluff, 3rd straights it & flys a good 30ft, airing over his sluff, & impact.  He did land it but not gracefully.  Thought he was gonna explode. ;D<br><br>Our 1st line was sick.  Lots of steep rollers to float down & gullies to thrash up.  The powder was bottomless & the face shots on house! ;D  Made our way down & back up 8 for seconds.  On the climb up we noticed someone had broken trail up to the top of Hemi's.  On top there was lots of wind effect going on.  Also a half dozen boarders going crazy off a booter.  Once they got tired of that they aired the cliff near by.  We chose our line wisely.  As we rounded a knoll we saw the remains of a fresh slide.  Was scary.  From my angle it was hard to see how long the crack was.  It was about 3-4ft deep & went about a 100ft down & back up a shallow gully.  Sketch so we kept riding until we came across some boarders who thought it would be to good idea to build a booter right below a cliff band that was heavily wind loaded. ???  Off course from where they were at the cliff band could not be seen cause of the steep rollers.  Once past them it was some more face shots before riding the groomers thru the Canyons.  Back up 5 & down to 8 & up for our last run off the arm.<br><br>On the hike out Mike, Steve, & myself were once again treated to some hucking.  This time 2 free-heelers picked a near vertical line with a cliff jump.  1st one went off a 40 footer.  2nd hit the 50 footer.  They both stuck the landing or should I say survived the compression at the bottom.  Our last line was just a good as the first.  You could pick up the snow & blow it all off your hand.  We aired some cornices, bashed some wind lips, & thru down some carves to the car.  In the end we all zoned at Grahams & enjoyed our libation of choice.<br><br>Another one of my "it was my best day of the year" days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.