Home > Trip Reports > Oct 8, 11, Blackcomb Peak-5 years TAY

Oct 8, 11, Blackcomb Peak-5 years TAY

10/8/11
Canada BC
Posted by Atraslin on 10/10/11 12:16pm
Stoked to finish five years of turns all year.

Whistler/Blackcomb put out the annual early season video of skiing powder on the glacier.
They usually fly up some pros to shred for the moment and hype up the mountains for the
upcoming season.

I got the bug, the only problem was, when we arrived there was no snow from what we
could see from the parking lot. We ran into some Whistler locals who we're doing the same.

We hiked up to the snowline way up on the Blackcomb glacier. Then skinned up Blackcomb
peak. We waited for the sun to poke through and skied from the summit. We had a great
fall line run down to the moraine.

Touring up Blackcomb glacier

Hike out

Photos by Mike Traslin

Skiers: Andy Traslin, Mike Traslin, Matty Richard, Jen Ashton, Dom, Erik Hjorliefson.
Damn, they made Hoji walk up there?

Congrats on five years, Andy!

Congratulations on 5 years.  I noticed the herringbone tracks of a hardy soul.  ;)

Yeah quite the herringbone track.  Congrats on 5 years.  I always enjoy your trip reports.

Nice!

This area presents a bit of a conundrum in terms of access in summer and fall. no roads up there, and no skis allowed on the tourist lifts, if/when they are open.

So how long did the hoof up from the village take?

It's a good thing you all skied off the summit.  Otherwise the TR title would have to be "Blackcomb Snowfield."

;D

Right on, Andy.

I think they're safe from A2's wrath up there in Canuckistan. 

Good to see someone was getting turns in on Saturday!  I was up in the snow as well on Whistler, albeit on the bike. 

* and yes, the snow is supporting the bike all by it's crusty self.  The snow level dropped on Monday, bringing snow down several hundred feet lower than what was there on Saturday.  Winter is on the way  ;D

Thanks for sharing....The look on your face was priceless when we pulled to the village and there was no snow. It always worth it getting out there... Snow biking looks fun!

Yea...the Traslins posting here gives us some real stature!!!  Congrats on the 5 year streak.  Hard to believe it is almost that time again. 

Gregg

Thanks Gregg.. You guys more than hold your own. Have a good one!

I looking for places to go this weekend, and everywhere except really high on Baker is forecasted for rain.  Judging by the pictures from the beginning of the month it could be really nice!  Anyone have any up to date beta on what the glacier may be like right now?

Much appreciated.

Brett

Reply to this TR

oct-8-11-blackcomb-peak-5-years-tay
Atraslin
2011-10-10 19:16:17