Home > Trip Reports > January 13, 2005, Heather/Skyline Ridge

January 13, 2005, Heather/Skyline Ridge

1/13/05
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by orion_sonya on 1/13/05 6:16pm
Sonya and I managed to get a midweek day off this week - skiing was in order.

We started out of the parking lot at about 9:30am and a track was already put in for us, sweet.  The skin track took the right turn towards the east facing slopes, so we decided to look at the N. facing slopes obove Skyline Lake.  

As we skinned passed Skyline Lake and up the ridge we became increasingly aware of the snow settling with our weight in large open areas - whoomp!  At the top of the ridge we decided we should dig a pit before skiing any of the small bowls.  The snow pack is becoming very interesting.  The top 8" was generally unconsolidated powder that rested on about 2' of denser slab layers.  This all sat on a layer of about 6" of unconsolidated 'sugary' snow that has developed on the December rain crust.  Hmmm?, we started to isolate a block for an AK block test and just as we finished digging out the sides the sucker slid leaving a high quality shear plane ontop of the depth hoar - Yikes!  So, we ditched the open bowls and made turns back to the lake.  

We then did a couple of laps in the east facing glades/bowls.  Here the snow was deep and turned like a dream.

Orion
Thank you for your report, I was just on the phone making plans to ski in this very area on Sunday when I read it.
Based upon your report, I'm ditching the idea at present for somewhere else. or maybe in-bounds.

It's getting scary out there with snow conditions we are not used to .
I hope everybody stays vigilant this weekend and doesn't let the fustration factor tempt them to take a chance.

Good report Orion! The snowpack has definitely gotten scary.
--Chris

Reply to this TR

january-13-2005-heather-skyline-ridge
orion_sonya
2005-01-14 02:16:04