January 13, 2005, Stevens Pass

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Jan 2005 11:23 #211774 by Zap
January 13, 2005, Stevens Pass was created by Zap
Perl, Art and I arrived at the Stevens Pass lot at 8am in anticipation of a large crowd. We parked in front of the staires and Perl volunteered to save us a spot at the front of the Skyline Express quad. He's a good friend, even on a powder day. Seeing it was my birthday, I showed my drivers license at the ticket window and received my free lift ticket. The skies were overcast and flurries were present all day.<br><br>Naturally, we were first on the chair and headed for 7th Heaven. Nancy and Bobby Chutes were closed so we headed for Cloud 9 and later the Meadow. Temperature was in the 20's and there was 12-15" of powder on intermediate/advanced terrain. It was a "race" as we cycled to get fresh lines in the limited terrain. Big Chief and Mill Valley were closed. After an hour, they closed 7th Heaven lift due to an avalanche in the rock bands below the Meadow. The dogs were working the slope and patrollers were probing the area. They were uncertain if someone was buried so they began a search for a couple of hours. Apparently, no one was buried.<br><br>We changed to our backcountry gear and skinned and skied the trees into the Lakes area where 12-18" powder splashed our chest. We then headed to the top of the Mill Valley chair with plans to ski Mill Valley. The Patrol had the area closed and were doing control work. They plan to open Mill Valley on Friday or Saturday. The snow quality was excellent but it was obvious that the winds have loaded various aspects.<br><br>Zap

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dkoelle
  • [dkoelle]
More
13 Jan 2005 13:07 #211776 by dkoelle
Replied by dkoelle on topic Re: January 13, 2005, Stevens Pass
Talked to the patrollers...there was no evidence of an actual burial. The cliff bands of lower lower 7th heaven, as they drape down onto the bowl to the skiers right as one descends from Brooks, did release some snow. Crowns were visible from the chair lift. There was a rather schizophrenic approach to the status of 7th heaven lift today with multiple openings and closings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.