• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Sep 2011 08:34 - 09 Nov 2011 07:27 #201847 by Marcus
NSAS This Weekend! $25 for TAY was created by Marcus
Posting this for Michael:

The Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit (NSAS) is up and running and scheduled for Nov. 13th at the Flagship REI in Seattle. Registration begins at 8:30 am. with NSAS starting at 9:00 a.m. sharp. 

We have a very impressive line-up of speakers, including "The Karl's":  Karl Birkland from the National Avalanche Center and The Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center, and Karl Klassen, Director of the Public Avalanche Bulletin for the CAA.  Photographer and newly-crowned author John Scurlock will present some of his many thousands of images, and we welcome the return of our Prodigal Son Zach Guy, back from Bozeman and Montana State University.  Zach earned his Masters on the topic of Spatial Variability while working with Karl Birkeland.

We also welcome Oyvind Henningsen as he discusses Search and Rescue logistics on a case study he was involved in.  Mike Richardson, aka "Cookie Monster", will discuss his theory on Decision Making, and Garth Ferber will attempt to explain through a discussion on the how's and why's of the NWAC telemetry, why ski report hotlines say one thing, and the NWAC telemetry says another...

This year ticket prices have been reduced due to the generosity of our sponsors.  OR is the Title Sponsor with REI, FOAC, The American Avalanche Association, Black Diamond, Brooks Range Mountaineering, BCA, Ortovox, AIARE, and Ridge Exploration.  Please support our sponsors with your purchases as they are supporting you with ticket price subsidies. 

To register online, please see the link below. Thank-you all for your past support, and I look forward to seeing you Nov. 13th at NSAS!

Cheers,
MJ
www.brownpapertickets.com/event/199594
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
30 Sep 2011 10:04 #201852 by Powderhino
Replied by Powderhino on topic Re: Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit, 11/13
Marcus.

Thank-you for posting.

I wanted to give everyone a heads-up on pricing.  If you buy your ticket before Oct. 31, you save $10.00 off of the door price, so buy your tickets early and save.  Another reason to purchase early is that capacity for NSAS has been reduced by 25% due to space constraints at REI.  BAsed on this new lower capacity,  I would not count on being able to purchase tickets at the door.

Thanks again to NSAS sponsor's for helping to reduce ticket prices!

MJ

• Oyvind_Henningsen
  • [Oyvind_Henningsen]
More
01 Oct 2011 11:42 #201875 by Oyvind_Henningsen
Replied by Oyvind_Henningsen on topic Re: Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit, 11/13
Thanks for posting this MJ and Marcus. Super stoked to be presenting this year. Real nervous like, bet I will know how Otter felt last year standing up there. Luckily with alot of friends in the community and a bunch of familiar faces I will draw security from that.

This year will be the first for the Monika Johnson Memorial Scholarship. Details are being worked out, but the principle is this - if you are willing to spread the word on avalanche safety in the backcountry, then the scholarship is for you. This is going to be a real community effort so think about what you can do to qualify for a scholarship. We have received strong support from the avalanche course providers out there so there will be multiple scholarships available. Monika touched so many lives and we want these scholarships to be a reflection of her spirit and a wonderful tool for education on backcountry safety. More details to come when available.

Part funding for the scholarships will come from the auction and I know that NSAS are in real need of donated items from individuals and organizations in order to present some real schweet gear for auction. Contact MJ if you are able to help. Please!

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
03 Oct 2011 14:07 #201889 by Gregg_C
Just wear your speedo Oyvind....y'all knock 'em dead.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
03 Oct 2011 21:13 #201894 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit, 11/13
Oyvind, is the Monika scholarship fund something that donations are being accepted for?

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
04 Oct 2011 13:22 #201911 by Powderhino
I am currently working on an Escrow account to accept donations. It will be administered by a third party for transparancy, and 100% of donations are to be distributed to qualified applicants.

Scholarship criteria is currently being discussed, and we hope to have a formal application available at NSAS for the Winter 2011/2012.

MJ

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
06 Oct 2011 23:03 #201959 by Powderhino
Rod Newcomb is coming out to NSAS!

I just recieved notice that Rod Newcomb, original owner and operator of American Avalanche Institute based out of Jackson Hole, can present at NSAS. He will be giving retrospective of his experience in the Avalanche Industry from 1950 until now.
If you do not know Rod, you are in for a treat. He is the quintessential gentlemen and mountain man. He has done everything there is to do in the avalanche industry from ski patrolling to Guiding, where he has recently retired as a Full Guide for EXum Guides in Jackson Hole. I am very, very honored that Rod has made time to come out, and hope all attending will enjoy his presentation.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
08 Oct 2011 00:03 #201968 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit, 11/13
MJ's right - Rod is the man. And that kid of his has done some decent skiing too.

More
10 Oct 2011 01:06 #201984 by ryanl
Just bought my ticket. Looking forward to it....

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
20 Oct 2011 11:57 #202080 by Powderhino
Look forward to seeing you there Ryan..

Heads up to all: NSAS is 50% sold out, and tickets are selling at a record pace.
If you are planning on purchasing tickets at the door on the day of the event, there is a very real chance there will not be any tickets available. Please purchase tickets now at the link below so you will not be disappointed. An added bonus is that tix are $10.00 cheaper for the next few weeks. Please pass the word onto folks that are planning to attend but have a bad habit of procrastination. Also let them know there will be free beer.... :)

MJ

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
20 Oct 2011 12:00 - 20 Oct 2011 15:47 #202081 by Powderhino

Look forward to seeing you there Ryan..

Heads up to all:  NSAS is 50% sold out, and tickets are selling at a record pace.
  If you are planning on purchasing tickets at the door on the day of the event, there is a very real chance there will not be any tickets available.  Please purchase tickets now at the link below so you will not be disappointed.  An added bonus is that tix are $10.00 cheaper for the next few weeks.  Please pass the word onto folks that are planning to attend but have a bad habit of procrastination.  Also let them know there will be free beer.... :)

MJ

edit - fixed the link - Marcus

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Oct 2011 12:13 - 21 Oct 2011 19:19 #202082 by Marcus
Sorry Michael, I keep forgetting to add this in:

For those that are interested in making direct donations to the Monika Scholarship fund, I'm going to be serving as the channel for that.  You can make a donation through my PayPal account at the email address here:

mengley AT hotmail.com

When you do so, include your full name and address so Michael can get you a receipt for the donation.  I'll pass any funds on to him when I receive them.

If you have questions or concerns, PM me or Michael and we'll work out the details.

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
21 Oct 2011 04:16 - 21 Oct 2011 15:18 #202083 by Powderhino
Thank-you Marcus,

As mentioned, please include your contact information so you can receive a receipt.  All donations are 100% tax deductible, and all donations will be used 100% for scholarship funding.  There will be absolutely no administrative cost's associated with the scholarship.

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
29 Oct 2011 13:27 #202224 by Powderhino
Just a final reminder that this is your last chance to take advantage of discounted NSAS ticket prices.
Prices go up $5.00  November 1st, so purchase them before then to save some hard-earned cash.

Advance ticket sales are going well, and I want to thank-you all for your support. 

MJ

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
02 Nov 2011 19:13 #202271 by Powderhino
In Thanks for all of the support shown by Turns All Year participants, I am releasing a block of discount tickets. These tickets are available for the next 24 hours. There are ten (10) and when they are gone, they are gone. The price is $20.00.

To purchase the discounted tickets, go to the BPT site, and when you hit the purchase button, it will ask for a code. Type in " tay " and you will qualify for the discount.

Thank-you all once again, and I wanted to be sure to give the TAY crowd a chance at the last of the available tickets.

MJ

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
09 Nov 2011 06:04 #202343 by Powderhino
LAST CHANCE FOR DISCOUNT NSAS TICKETS $25.00  The price at the door will be $35.00, if available.  NSAS is a great opportunity for a preseason 'safety refresher" that is held at a convenient location for a reasonable price.  Please take advantage of this special discount opportunity to assure your place at the seminar. 

Mark Moore at NWAC has assured me that skiing will SUCK this Sunday, so buy your tickets now and I will see you there!

Thank-you
MJ

To receive your discount, log onto the bpt link and type in "tay" for your discount code

The Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit (NSAS) is up and running and scheduled for Nov. 13th at the Flagship REI in Seattle. Registration begins at 8:30 am. with NSAS starting at 9:00 a.m. sharp. 

We have a very impressive line-up of speakers, including "The Karl's":  Karl Birkland from the National Avalanche Center and The Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center, and Karl Klassen, Director of the Public Avalanche Bulletin for the CAA.  Photographer and newly-crowned author John Scurlock will present some of his many thousands of images, and we welcome the return of our Prodigal Son Zach Guy, back from Bozeman and Montana State University.  Zach earned his Masters on the topic of Spatial Variability while working with Karl Birkeland.

We also welcome Oyvind Henningsen as he discusses Search and Rescue logistics on a case study he was involved in.  Mike Richardson, aka "Cookie Monster", will discuss his theory on Decision Making, and Garth Ferber will attempt to explain through a discussion on the how's and why's of the NWAC telemetry, why ski report hotlines say one thing, and the NWAC telemetry says another...

This year ticket prices have been reduced due to the generosity of our sponsors.  OR is the Title Sponsor with REI, FOAC, The American Avalanche Association, Black Diamond, Brooks Range Mountaineering, BCA, Ortovox, AIARE, and Ridge Exploration.  Please support our sponsors with your purchases as they are supporting you with ticket price subsidies. 

To register online, please see the link below. Thank-you all for your past support, and I look forward to seeing you Nov. 13th at NSAS!

Cheers,
MJ

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
11 Nov 2011 19:57 #202403 by Powderhino
Replied by Powderhino on topic Re: NSAS $25 for TAY Only 20 tickets left!

Cheers,
MJ

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Nov 2011 19:36 #202455 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: NSAS This Weekend! $25 for TAY
Great job Michael and all the presenters -- really fun day.

More
13 Nov 2011 20:12 #202456 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: NSAS This Weekend! $25 for TAY
A great event. Thanks Michael.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Nov 2011 21:56 #202461 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: NSAS This Weekend! $25 for TAY
NSAS was the place to be today. Great turnout and great topics. I got a lot out of the talks and I enjoyed seeing many old and new faces. Big thanks to Michael Jackson, the sponsors, and the volunteers.

• CookieMonster
  • [CookieMonster]
More
13 Nov 2011 23:19 - 14 Nov 2011 01:56 #202463 by CookieMonster
Replied by CookieMonster on topic Re: NSAS This Weekend! $25 for TAY
Thanks to MJ, the volunteers, the speakers, and all the sponsors for planning, supporting, and implementing such a great day! MJ, you are really a class act.

It was really fun to meet Marcus, RonJ, Lowell, Amar, Gerry, Oyvind, GFerber, and Stimbuck. An interesting bunch.

• Powderhino
  • [Powderhino]
More
14 Nov 2011 06:42 #202464 by Powderhino
Replied by Powderhino on topic Re: NSAS This Weekend! $25 for TAY
Wow,

Thank-you all for your support and kind words.

NSAS is becoming what I had hoped it would be: a chance for the communty to get together and share some amazing presentations in a relaxed atmospher. ( It doesn't hurt to have free beer either!)

I can't thank the speaker's and sponsor's enough for their support and participation. I look forward to NSAS 2012 and would like to hear from folks that might be interested in presenting, or know of someone that might be. The planning never stops!

Cheers,
MJ

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
14 Nov 2011 08:50 #202468 by Gregg_C
Replied by Gregg_C on topic Re: NSAS This Weekend! $25 for TAY
Thanks Michael! You continue to give back to the community year after year.

• cumulus
  • [cumulus]
More
14 Nov 2011 09:46 - 14 Nov 2011 10:19 #202470 by cumulus
Replied by cumulus on topic Re: NSAS This Weekend! $25 for TAY
yeah - thanks Michael and all involved for putting this on! Very informative and great to put so many faces(in 3-D!) to names. Totally enjoyed meeting everybody. Salmon and beer at the end was definitely a nice finishing touch...

also - here's a small addition to Oyvinds excellent presentation -

...a more benign use of the Everett SAR helicopter

More
14 Nov 2011 10:11 #202471 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: NSAS This Weekend! $25 for TAY

Class event, Michael,

Accolades go out to:
-Michael Jackson for all the planning and behind-the-scenes activities that are required to organize such an event,
-Steve Christy for his great job as MC for the event,
-The presenters for their work, preparation, presentation execution and in some cases long travel,
-For the volunteers for their contribution in having the event come together so seamlessly,
-The sponsors for the work, time and resources to help make the event affordable for all, and,
-Especially for the participants for sitting in one place a whole day to cause this event to become a reality.

I also especially want to thank the presenters for the new insights I have gleaned from them from the new, and some cases hard developed, information they imparted.   

It was also very enjoyable for me to see so many of our fellow backcountry sisters and brothers in one place; to see all familiar faces; to meet new ones, and to look forward to meeting the ones I have yet to meet.

Thanks to all.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Nov 2011 10:54 - 14 Nov 2011 12:10 #202472 by Lowell_Skoog
Okay, since Oyvind convinced me that I need to carry my iPhone in the mountains, and since Karl Birkland explained the Extended Column Test (ECT) more clearly than I've heard before, I combined the two and loaded a quickie checklist into my iPhone task manager (Toodledo) to remind myself how the ECT is supposed to be done:

_Dig pit with exposed face at least 90cm wide
_Use probes to define corners of a 90cm by 30cm column
_Isolate column by cutting around probes using knotted string
_Place shovel flat atop one end of the column
_Angle shovel so downward force will be parallel to force of gravity
_Tap shovel (10 from wrist, 10 from elbow, 10 from shoulder)
_Does the column fail? Does failure propagate across column?
_Failure across entire column indicates instability
_Lack of failure doesn't necessarily indicate stability
_Slope angle doesn't matter much
_Number of taps doesn't matter much
_Test is only usable to about 1 meter depth

Did I get it right? Feel free to copy and use ...

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
14 Nov 2011 11:20 #201948 by Gregg_C
Replied by Gregg_C on topic Re: NSAS This Weekend! $25 for TAY
Nice summary Lowell. My daughter, and newly minted backcountry devote, texted me asking what the best thing that I learned was. ("#1 idea").

I texted back:

"ECT-I will teach"

And I will.

Again, what an awesome event. Still digesting all the great info.

• Oyvind_Henningsen
  • [Oyvind_Henningsen]
More
14 Nov 2011 11:32 #202473 by Oyvind_Henningsen
Replied by Oyvind_Henningsen on topic Re: NSAS This Weekend! $25 for TAY
MJ - your leadership and devotion to all things snow is an inspiration. Thank you my friend.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Nov 2011 12:05 - 14 Nov 2011 12:10 #202475 by Lowell_Skoog

"ECT-I will teach"

After thinking about it a little more, I remembered that Karl stressed how you mustn't use the test to verify stability. It can only tell you instability. So I added the following item to the checklist:

_Lack of failure doesn't necessarily indicate stability

I've updated my previous post.

I think somebody could do a whole presentation on the psychological challenge of trying to hold in your mind the notion that you should not use tests like ECT to confirm stability. As Karl Birkland was describing that, I was thinking, "OK, I understand that conceptually. But how many of us can actually do it? How many us aren't strongly reassured by a negative instability test."

More food for thought...

• jdclimber
  • [jdclimber]
More
14 Nov 2011 12:10 - 14 Nov 2011 12:14 #202476 by jdclimber
Replied by jdclimber on topic Re: NSAS This Weekend! $25 for TAY
Another awesome NSAS event. Mad props to MJ and his great crew at ASAP.
Lowell - I think the topic of ECT demands more discussion. I'm going to start another thread so as to keep this thread about NSAS.

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...93.msg95318#msg95318