Home > Trip Reports > Sept 19 - 20, Volcanos Villarica and Lanin, Chile

Sept 19 - 20, Volcanos Villarica and Lanin, Chile

9/15/11
South America
Posted by tabski on 9/22/11 1:08am
Sept 18th skied Llaima (see other TR). This is Chilean independence day so it was a 430am bedtime. And that was an early hour - the town was still partying its ass off.

19th slept in and ate a bunch, eventually starting up Villarica around 330pm. Summited for sunset and skied slightly refrozen corn in the twilight.

Camped at the foot of Lanin late that same night on the Chilean side. Climbed, summited and skied the next day. Would recommend the E/NE routes starting from just inside of Argentina as better ski lines, but our was still great, plus we didn't have to deal with the border.

Nice three-day-three-volcano session. Now back in Santiago. Gonna go catch some waves on the coast before jetting back to Seattle on Tuesday.

I work at Pro Ski Service on Aurora, which opened last week. From my summer ski trip straight to the ski shop! Come visit and I'll tune your skis!

Villarica summit crater. Mordor for skiers.

Lanín from Villarica.

Lanín summit. 2,600m vert.

Mandandole, ayayay!

Been loving to read your Chilean adventure! I used to work for a ski travel company, and tried with Adam J. for 2 or 3 years to get a group down there. No one ever took the bait. Bet they would now! See you soon for new gear...

WOW, a very big 3 day ski adventure.  The Villarica crater photo is impressive.  It's been enjoyable following your reports.  It rekindles fond memories of our trip to Argentina and Chile.

Thanks  ;)

Fire Meets Ice!  Thanks for those inspiring shots!

Ahh, Pucon.  Fond memories of that town.  My lungs burned for about 2 weeks after being on Villarica from all the sulfer dioxide.  The lava was further down the tube when I was there so couldn't see the glow like that.  That is a really cool picture, especially with the red glow on the snow.

Also made a short video of that sunset on Villarica.

http://vimeo.com/29450185

Love the sunset descent Drew -- nice vid.  That crater is fantastic.

Reply to this TR

sept-19-20-volcanos-villarica-and-lanin-chile
tabski
2011-09-22 08:08:39