Home > Trip Reports > September 4, 2011, Paradise Glacier

September 4, 2011, Paradise Glacier

9/4/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by wolfs on 9/5/11 4:12pm
Paradise Glacier is a pretty obvious/typical choice for September turns. Usually it either needs a little touch up from early snow, or you just resign yourself to chattery big cups. But this year the run was just fine with no touch up needed.

Hiked along with my family up via Golden Gate. Doing this in the middle of the day meant enduring epic legions of tourons all over the trail. Ascent was slowed considerably just from all the stepping aside and stepping sideways of oncoming traffic.

Split from family who hiked down Skyline. I instead hiked up Skyline to point where hi/lo Skyline split. Had spotted some gents on skis who descended a snow finger here and asked whether that snow strip went. Yup. In fact this makes a pretty nice way to get behind McClure/Sugarloaf without having to go west then east again. A few steepish rollovers to surmount, as what you're doing here is sneaking up on that steep breakover below McClure that looms above when you climb lower Paradise basin. But easy booting on a warm day. All in all enjoyed this method of upness better than either typical Pebble or the long slog up Paradise basin. As seen from above, no longer looked like could ascend Paradise basin all the way to head on snow without melted out sections or scary snow bridges over water.

Climbed to point on the E side of Moon Rocks about 200' below the start of the Anvil headwall and called it good there. This was just about the point where snow got really junky IMO. Top 300' sking had many raised tracks; went as far skiers left as seemed safe given the first big crevasse there and headed straight for rock island. Mostly fine summer snow once raised tracks got smaller and fewer; less than 1" soft on very firm firn despite the warm day. There were however some spots where that glacier grit and or dust from the slides made the low angle snow REAL grabby.

Again got nice evening light as the 'reward' for typical late start. Plus a few iceworm sightings. Basically followed ascent skirting that edge where glacier breaks over yet still leaving  McClure to skiers right. A few short dismounts near the end but basically possible to ski to the edge of Edith Crest and regain Skyline just shortly above Golden Gate.

Marmots were happier now in the evening and out eating and playing, not sure if because of heat or waning of the throngs.  Though, even nearing 7PM the throngs were not entirely gone on the tourist trails. Family and I were staying in the Paradise Inn for the night so one serious win for this day's Paradise tour was I could go to the room and immediately take a nice warm shower to get that glacier grit off, and then watch a nice sunset over the Tatoosh.

Good report.  Looks like you crossed over right near our 9/2 high point.  It's shorter than going up Paradise Basin, but we could skin shortly after the Sluiskin Memorial.  Our ascent and descent lines were barely continuous, but I'd bet $ that a lot has gone the past few days.

This TR is the closest I've seen you come to skiing with others---usually you are a "Lone Wolfs".   8)

Reply to this TR

september-4-2011-paradise-glacier
wolfs
2011-09-05 23:12:52