Home > Trip Reports > September 1, 2011, - Illumination Saddle, Mt Hood

September 1, 2011, - Illumination Saddle, Mt Hood

9/1/11
OR Mt Hood
Posted by stoudema on 9/1/11 1:10pm
With a busy September planned, I took advantage of the first day of the month and headed up to Hood solo to get some turns in.  The coverage on the south side of the mountain is still very nice.  I reached Illumination Saddle around 10:45 and the snow was just starting to corn.  The cups around the saddle are decent size, but the Zigzag Glacier is in fine shape with only minimal cups (do wait for them to corn though!).  Looking down onto the Reid Glacier, from the Saddle, I was tempted to drop in, but obviously didn't being solo.  Here's a shot of the Reid from the Saddle...

After enjoying the views for a bit and re-hydrating, I strapped in and made turns down the steeper pitch off the Saddle, then angled over to ride the middle of the Zigzag glacier.  If you look closely at the below picture, you can see my turns descending from Illumination Saddle...

At the bottom of the Zigzag, I had to hike a bit back up to link snowfields.  Guess I should have stayed further right.  Here's a shot from lower down on the glacier looking back up towards the Saddle and the summit crater.  Lots of options for turns....

I followed a large snow finger down to 7000 feet, where I packed up my gear and headed over to the Mile run to ride the groomers.  From where I left off at the bottom of the Zigzag snowfield, I probably could have made another 300 - 400 feet of turns, but the Mile groomer goes to within a couple hundred yards of the parking lot.  I didn't see a soul outside the ski area and conditions are good right now for those looking to get some relatively easy September turns.  The parting shot below was taken from where I stopped riding and hiked back to the ski area.

Nice, Matt. Love the shot of the Reid glacier.
We're headed up tomorrow to get our Sept. ski.
Should be back in time to watch the Ducks beat LSU (fingers crossed)

Looks lovely!  Thanks for the pics and detailed information..  Maybe next week!!!!!

I haven't done any touring around Hood at this time of year, so I've got a few detail questions - I'm exploring doing this tour this weekend :)  I assume you started from Timberline?  And can you just hike to the snow, and skin up from there, or are there any passes/fees to get before you do it?

Also, since I'm not familiar with the glaciers of Mt. Hood, I'm a bit curious as to the safety of the Zigzag Glacier - not too broken up / well bridged right now?

Hi ejk,

You can start from the Timberline parking lot no problems.  Get a free climbing permit/wilderness permit from the climbers cave located in the Wy'East lodge.  Usually I do this, but didn't bother yesterday.

Follow the paved path towards the Pacific Crest Trail and continue hiking up along the trail towards the Mile canyon.  You can hike this trail up to near 7000 feet (just below the top of the mile chairlift and the two large buildings that are obvious from the parking lot).  From here it's a short 1/8 mile or so hike across the rocks/grass to the snow finger.  You can skin in the Mile canyon, but I don't know the resort's policy on that during the operating season and hiking is pretty easy.

You can also hike west from the lodge and then up, but I haven't done this and find hiking up to the Mile is pretty easy.  Once you reach the snow finger in the canyon to the west of the resort (between 6700-7000 feet), you can start skinning.  When approaching Government Camp via Hwy 35 (a few miles before GC) you get a good overall view of the route from the highway. 

As for the Zigzag Glacier, I didn't notice any cravasses and the glacier itself is pretty stagnant (more of a big snowfield).  That being said, I did see some real small cracks and it's prudent to pay attention while you're skinning, but you shouldn't encounter any problems.  I've been out there several times this time of year and have never hade issues with crevasses (or even seeing one), but just keep your eyes open.  Enjoy the ride down and the ride on the groomer back to near the parking lot and have fun!

- you rock, I love those kind of reports. you didnt eat a chocolate chip Clif bar also, while rehydrating ?

Anyone know how Hood is holding up for getting in some last minute September turns??

All Mtn - honestly can't remember about the Clif bar (I do like chocolate chip), but I don't think so.

fanatic - I'd imagine given the coverage on the Palmer is still in excellent shape and would allow for a couple thousand vertical.  The White River snowfield above the Palmer would probably be worth considering....

Thanks Stoudema,

I suppose I'll be heading over to Hood to get some turns for Sept, and maybe I'll I stay and get some Oct turns also! Seems a bit like cheating, getting two months in two days at the same place. But it would be my first ever 12 month run, and I could technically call myself a TAY'er!

Should be lots of snow.  I was still hoping to get Snowdome, but I believe the parking / trail remains closed due to Dollar Lake Fire. 

Timberline is fix'n to reopen on Friday, so if you want some quiet, tomorrow is your September day.  Looking to be mine.

Cheers.

Hawthorne - Welches OR

Reply to this TR

september-1-2011-illumination-saddle-mt-hood
stoudema
2011-09-01 20:10:44