Home > Trip Reports > Aug 30 - Lassen, melting

Aug 30 - Lassen, melting

8/15/11
US elsewhere
Posted by all mtn on 8/30/11 9:39am
the slopes of the general area have finally melted out. the snowfield next to the trail is still very filled, but is closed for ongoing trail work. there are a couple of spots that still have some good patches. yesterday p.m., the snow (300 vert) was perfect due to recent warm temps. this morning it was ice but skiable cuz the suncups were ok. a sidenote, this summer the skies have been real clear due to no major fires.
Anyone skiing from the summit, or is it restricted?
Where were your perfect 300' of turns?
I hope to get back down there....

yaa, Telemack.  I wouldnt bother skiing on Lassen/ the main snowfield directly next to the trail, has snow the latest, but the Mtn is closed for the Nat'l Park trail-work. the chute from the top, by the trail typically gets very bumpy, and you can't usually access that, because it ends in dirt. (their rule is, you can only be on snow without going to dirt).
     the slope I skied is adjacent to the sub-hill, named on the topo as 'Ski-Heil' pk. that means in German ski high. its a cute little spot with views of Shasta. I would recommend that, but not the adjacent slope cuz its meltin out as well. and if its icy it wouldnt be worth it.
    I dont think its a problem to access Ski Heil from the traihead. But if you look at their 'closure map', you see Eagle pk and Ski Heil is just to the south of that. * the only reason I caught the perfect snow (2 " of slush), is we had our warmest temps of the summer last wk.   (also this spot is 40 min. from your car)
    I highly doubt it will be a problem going by the trail and going south towards Eagle Pk.  Lassen Park, I think has quite unique landscape - the thermal areas/ grassy areas/ little meadows/ and a Cascade volcano/ and of course the lingering snowfields.   thanks for the inquire. I usually end the season around mid-Sept on these big yrs.

author=all mtn link=topic=21705.msg93003#msg93003 date=1314920046]
the only reason I caught the perfect snow (2 " of slush), is we had our warmest temps of the summer last wk. 

Yikes!  Warmer than the mid 90s of early July?

Reply to this TR

aug-30-lassen-melting
all mtn
2011-08-30 16:39:48