Home > Trip Reports > Aug 2011, Baker parking lot Slush Cup 2011

Aug 2011, Baker parking lot Slush Cup 2011

8/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by randerson on 8/22/11 1:35am
This was a fun one for month 46! The goal was to do a bit of Ptarmigan ridge, but we didn't quite make it. Only 2 of our 3 had skis, and the initial angled slope still covered in snow didn't look promising for our compatriot in normal boots. Thus, we had to ski from Artist point down to the parking lot. I figured at that point we would lap it once or twice and call it a day. We also scouted Blueberry chutes, which someone had done (well done!), so that was still an option.

BUT THEN!!!!...some folks had dug out a trench in the pond by the parking lot and tossed a jump at the end. August 20th Slush Cup was born. Random people from the Bellingham, Abbotsford, and Vancouver area sat around, had some refreshing summer drinks, and tried to ski across the water. A new first for me on the TAY gig. If anyone happened to see it, I'd love to get more pictures. It was a good atmosphere and I think also fun for the siteseers in the parking lot.

The three pics are the approach to the water, being in the water, and the tiny (read well sized for my skills)exit jump.  These were all taken from video, hence the quality. I only managed to clear it 2 of 4 times, with my first attempt ending with me knee deep in water.
it seems like the sequence should've been pond-jump-pond  ;D

Looks like a good time!

Reply to this TR

aug-2011-baker-parking-lot-slush-cup-2011
randerson
2011-08-22 08:35:49