Home > Trip Reports > August 19, 2011, Rocky Run Rampart recon

August 19, 2011, Rocky Run Rampart recon

8/19/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Splitter on 8/20/11 5:52am
I was going to post this in Hot Air but since boot skiing now counts in August, here is my TR :D

After getting spanked last week for boarding while out of shape, I thought a little recon/conditioning hike would be good.  Headed up Rocky Run to Lake Lillian, then booted and schwacked to the top of point 5606.  There are a couple of good short patches just above the lake if someone wants to get some cheap August turns.  Maybe 40 minutes from the car.

Took the fun sporty ridge walk north toward Rampart Lakes.

Discovered a beautiful patch as I climbed through the meadows.

Made a loop wandering up Rampart Ridge and back down towards the South to hit the patch.

Since I already have real (real painful) August turns, I don't have to wonder if these are truly genuine.  It would be nice for summer turns to have some 2 to 3 foot boards that would just strap on to hiking boots.  Real skis that are easy to carry, you could take them everywhere.  I guess there are approach skis, maybe I could rig a lightweight strap setup.

More photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/101202380655135998274/August202011#

P.S. spellchuck wanted to change picasaweb to pigswill  :D

Got the photolink thing figured out now, much better than thumbnails.
Remember, if you don't go ski it, Silas will get it all. ;)
Sounds like you need a pair of Bigfoots!

Pic here of my pair after triumphantly skiing the last remaining snow of "Lucky Shot" at Crystal on August 7.

They have a binding that takes to any boot that can use "Salewa" style crampons. Don't know what they weigh but prob less than 4 lbs.

Reply to this TR

august-19-2011-rocky-run-rampart-recon
Splitter
2011-08-20 12:52:07