Home > Trip Reports > Auguest 17, 2011, Ingalls Lake

Auguest 17, 2011, Ingalls Lake

8/15/11
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jtack on 8/19/11 1:37am
Took a nice hike to Ingalls Lake in search of turns, Headlight Basin was still a possibility, but decided to push on to the lake, and see how that looked.  When I got to the lake, it seemed like I had missed my chance, but since I was there I thought I would hike up to the col, and see what I could see.  Once at the col I was able to see a ribbon of snow that might take me all the way to the lake, which it did, although it is getting very thin.  Today, it would probably not be possible to ski all the way, without at least one transition.
author=jtack link=topic=21657.msg92741#msg92741 date=1313771851]

The Seattle Times had a blurb this week about an "aggressive goat" in the Teanaway area that the Forest Service is warning people to avoid. The article said the goat was in the Longs Pass area. My son and I climbed Ingalls Peak last Saturday (8/13) and encountered a goat in Headlight Basin that seemed to have no fear of people. I wonder if it was the same goat.

The Times article suggested that people not pee within 50ft of the trail, avoid feeding the goat, and so on. Not having visited Ingalls Lake in summer for a few years, I was impressed by how crowded it was with people. It seems like problem goats are becoming widespread in the Cascades. There was a thread a few weeks ago on CC.com about a problem goat near Wing Lake in the North Cascades.

You can almost count on seeing goats around Ingalls Pass these days.  It's a target-rich environment for them looking for peed-on ground.  I had a close encounter a couple of years ago when one goat got way too close wanting to lick or nibble.  Ended up pushing it away with my pack.  Maybe we need goat spray.

Way to go jTack.  Looks like you and I are about a week apart on our adventures.  We should do one together.

Some goats don't even wait for you to finish...
(from 8/8 Ingalls peak climb)

You may want to check with the ranger, but I believe goat-mooning is illegal in Wenatchee National Forest...

Not sure where it ranks on the score sheet in the world of animal vandalism but probably a notch below cow-tipping...

Reply to this TR

auguest-17-2011-ingalls-lake
jtack
2011-08-19 08:37:31