Home > Trip Reports > January 8, 2005, Whistler Rando Rally

January 8, 2005, Whistler Rando Rally

1/8/05
Canada BC
Posted by Jeff Huber on 1/9/05 11:40am
Wow -- what a neat event! This was my first Rally so I'm going to step you thru every detail. The fun started the night prior to the race at the pre-race meeting where we picked up bibs, red bull, a bag of swag, purchased half-price lift tickets and--most importantly--got briefed on the details of the race. The briefing included being repeatedly told it'd be extremely frigid the next day (we were quoted below -30 celsius with wind chill!) and a Powerpoint presentation with photos of the course. The next morning we met at 8am at the gondola and rode up to the Roundhouse lodge. It was indeed quite cold but it wasn't that windy and had snowed a few inches overnight. In the warm lodge we organized our gear, kept our skins/skis warm and had our safety check; each participant was required to have a shovel, probe (or probe poles), transceiver and, for the race division, (I was in the shorter recreation division) a helmet.

The race started with a running mass start which consisted of lining up our skis (and poles if we choose) by bib # in rows about 90ft ahead of where we started then, when the starting horn sounded, sprinting to our skis and start skinning. Here's my next hour and 37 minutes:

The maroon line is altitude, the red line with yellow backdrop is my HR and the Y axis is time (not mileage). It's fun to analyze my graph and correspond the HR troughs and elevation plateaus with the events during the race. Note that some of my commentary is pointing to the HR and other commentary points to the elevation.

The race was quite a learning experience. I'm not complaining but I definitely could have saved time if it was more clear where to go both on the descent from Picollo to the "Burnt Stew" trail (vis  got bad here, I didn't see any markers and I had never been on this part of the mtn before) and, particularly, the top of the final bootpack. The course organizers did not place a prior bootpack so the 1st rec guy established the bootpack going straight up when the checkpoint (possibly by mistake) was to the right; I was the 2nd rec guy (doesn't say much--it was the rec division) at the top of the bootpack but I missed the 1st rec guy's tracks where he cut right (the snow was firm) luckily those behind me (and in-front of me after the transition) knew to go right. Again I'm not complaining about this, I'm sure Whistler Patrol/Lifelink will learn from this and, I guess, in part, finding the CPs is part of the nature of these events. I also could have saved a bit of time in a number of other ways, including faster transitions, not twisting out of the toes of my Dynafits on the 2nd climb (very frustrating; I think I pushed the toe lock down when I pivoted forwards to adjust my heel lift) and not pre-releasing on the final descent.

Once at the finish everyone was very cheerful and happy. There were a few sponsors handing out more swag and there was one of those giant Martian-looking Mountain Hardware domes with a heater, Gatorade, soy energy bars and the gear we had left at the lodge. A few minutes after I finished Greg Hill came flying thru winning the race course which I overhead him say he measured at 4400vft. I hung out for a bit taking photos and watching the other competitors finish before it occurred to me it really was quite cold. I had placed my Gatorade on the snow for just a few minutes and it turned into a Gatorade slurpery. I skied back to the gondola and went to my car where I cranked the heat, ate and "transitioned" into my Adrenalins/10EXs. I spent the rest of the day lift skiing which was fun but not as fun as the Rally.

The afterparty/awards ceremony was in the bar of the Crabshack. Beer tickets were handed out multiple times and there was a projector with a laptop setup rotating thru photos of the race. After the awards there was a raffle with fat prizes in which everyone won something (I won Marmot long johns, a crazy creek chair and an OR hat).

In conclusion I really enjoyed the entire event even when I couldn't find the CP. As I was driving up on Friday I kept questioning if going to the Rally was going to be worth it (I was burning lots of fusel fuels, had to take time off for work, etc). On the way home there was no question in my mind: it was definitely worth it. I plan to do more of these in the future--the race division next time, rec is too short.

Jeff :)
Wow -- what a neat event!....   I plan to do more of these in the future--the race division next time, rec is too short.

Jeff :)

Way to go Gaper Jeffey!!  ;D  Thanks for sharing your TR and graph.  Now that you are "into" this sort of thing, you should sign up for Lowell Skoog's Patrol Race Ski Tour.  You can find out more info in the "Planned Trips" section under March 5th 2005 Patrol Race Ski Tour.  Sounds like this event would also be just the thing you are looking for.  Ron, and I are thinking about being there.  NO, not to do it, but to "high five" all you energetic ski enthusiasts  ;D

Nice work, Jeff. Perhaps I'll see you at the Alpental event!

Nice report, Jeff.  Great graph too.

I was going to chide our gaper competitor for not enduring the full 5k race division, but the comprehensive graph and commentary more than compensate for the shortened course -- nice job!

Reply to this TR

january-8-2005-whistler-rando-rally
Jeff Huber
2005-01-09 19:40:13