Home > Trip Reports > Aug 13, Nisqually Chute, rockfall continues

Aug 13, Nisqually Chute, rockfall continues

8/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Splitter on 8/14/11 12:11am
Left car at 9, top of the chute at 11:30.  Pleased with the pace after being out for six months due to shoulder surgery.  Waited for the snow to soften while watching the artillery come off of the Nisqually Cleaver.  Headed down about 12:30, the constricted part of the chute was steep and smooth but everything else was cupped or runnelled.  After 3 would probably be better.  Skiing down and then climbing back out erased my earlier estimate of my condition, it was a very humbling day. 

Getting back to Paradise was a bit of a shock.  Someone up high mentioned counting more than two hundred people on the snowfield.  Near the parking lot there must have been 10 thousand, what a zoo.

Didn't see many skiers.  Even though the word has been out for weeks, the sheep failed to appear.

rockfall video here: http://vimeo.com/27685106
The last picture. !! It's like you're in a national park or something.
Nice to live in a place where you can resume riding in August after 6 months off. Get your warmup runs in before the snow falls again.

We were having lunch skiers right of the snowfield when that happened I was in so much awe I couldnt grab the camera in time. I'm glad someone got some footage!  Oh yeah second on the zoo. Snow at 1pm was meh but views and fireworks were awesome.

Good to see you back at it!  How did the shoulder hold up?

John - Shoulder is good, better every week.  I just can't climb fast or ski well :(
Nice to see your trip reports, the character-builders are always an inspiration.

We heard thunder and saw the dust from the rock fall from the parking lot.  On the way up, we saw two skiers drop into the chute around 1:30.  I wanted to follow but, we were unsure of the climb out.  So we opted for my for my girlfriend's first attempt at Camp Muir.  We made it in about 8 hours round trip in hiking boots with snow boards on back.  The views were spectacular and the descent was "sporty".  The trenches left by the garbage bag glisaders reminded me of my last trip to Wet and Wild Water Park.  It was great for August but, I think I will go to Sunrise next time during peak tourist season. 

Reply to this TR

aug-13-nisqually-chute-rockfall-continues
Splitter
2011-08-14 07:11:08