Home > Trip Reports > August 13, 2011, Chair Peak area

August 13, 2011, Chair Peak area

8/13/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by JPH on 8/13/11 1:22pm
Headed up to Chair Peak today to see what I could find.  Surprisingly, I was the only person I saw with skis... My route selection pretty much all day left something to be desired, but it was "fun" to spice it up with some vertical schwacking on the way up and (!) the way down, maybe I'm a slow learner.  Definitely could have had much more ski time with a trip down to Rainier, even with the extra 3 hours in the car, but it was fun to get in some decent skiing at the pass in mid-August.

It's getting thin and broken up pretty quick, but I managed to squeeze a good run out of the high basin on the Source Lake side and a quick run down the mellow upper slopes of the north face.  That area is getting pretty broken up, so it'd be tough to get much of a run out of it. 

Chair Peak basin coverage - going quick

North face coverage - not much for a continuous run

Good views of Snow Lake mid-melt from the top of the cliffs though:

Met TAYer cumulus on his way down from Chair (nice to meet you!), but other than that I didn't see anyone outside of the Snow Lake trail area, which was very busy.

Edit to add - I found an shovel, three snow stakes and an aluminum water bottle out there today.  I'm pretty sure that the shovel and stakes were from the same people that left a bunch of plastic bags, cans and bottles (hauled those out too) so the finders fee on those is $100.  I don't think the water bottle was related, so if you can ID it let me know (it's a pretty distinct bottle).
good to meet you too JPH!
I like the Snow Lake view
almost time to go swimming!

didn't get any great pics, but here's what I got -

no skis for me, was coming off Chair Peak per foot, but did get in some turns -

does that count for turns all year?  a solid boot glissade, didn't even fall on my face...

I'd count 'em.

August turns at Snoqualmie Pass....what a crazy snowpack this year!

Reply to this TR

august-13-2011-chair-peak-area
JPH
2011-08-13 20:22:55