Home > Trip Reports > Aug 7 ONP Obst. Point to Lillian Glacier

Aug 7 ONP Obst. Point to Lillian Glacier

8/15/11
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 8/8/11 11:37am
Been looking at this now for years and finally was able to rouse myself out of bed early enough to get after it. The Lillian "Glacier" as noted on the Park maps is really an alpine snowfield that typically melts out over the course of a "normal" summer but this year pieces of it may remain until the snow flys.  If one were to park oneself in the basin and ski for a few days it might be worth the hike. I would not recommend trying to do it in one day as I did at least from Obstuction Point.  My route took me into Grand Valley traversing westward above Gladys lake to McCartney Peak and back via the way trail over Moose Peak. It is a tough one day hike/ski. I arrived at Obst. Pt. at about 5:30 and returned to my car about 7:00 pm...alot of hiking for a little skiing. There are many more accessible bowls closer to Obst but what the heck, it is a beautiful area.
Nice job.  The lady and I camped at Moose Lake a week ago. I was scoping out some lines.  I'm guessing  the road to obstruction point is open past PJ lake as it was not last week. 

That's a great area, I love the Lillian Basin. Way to get at it, quite the day trip.

Wow Doug,
That's a big day! That's a beautiful area, definately worth the effort needed to get out there.  :D

Gary

Very Nice!  I've actually dreamed of doing this traverse and have it mapped out.  One day.  Thanks for the trip report and the pictures.  I'm more motivated than ever.

Reply to this TR

aug-7-onp-obst-point-to-lillian-glacier
runcle
2011-08-08 18:37:58