8/15/11
Posted by cem_terzi on 8/4/11 6:13am
South America Volcan TOLHUACA

Tolhuaca = Cow head (maphuche)
Santiago-Victoria=580km
Victoria-Curacartin=54km
Curacartin-Volcan Tolhuaca=30km
Malacahuello-Tolvuaca=60km

September 2010 to jenuary 2011 , I skied and bicycled 21 volcano in Chile and  Argentina along the Andes. Most of my trip was overnight up to 7 days.Some of the mountains ,after I rode my bike to mountain village I rented horses from Mapuche indian than I reached the snow level with horse up to 30km horse ride. Volcan Tolhuaca was one of them.

The roads to Volcan Tolhuaca, Volcan Lonquimay from laguna blanca and Volcan Llaima from laguna conqullio are not very good. High bed track and 4 weel drvive are the only option if you don't have a bike or horse.There are privat property with lack gate at Tolhuaca and Lonquimay.
At least 2 days trip is a better option. I had 4 days trip to Volcan Tolhuaca.
I started from a village very close to Curacartin with a horse ride of 30km with a Maphuche. I camped at the mountain  3 nights.

https://picasaweb.google.com/c777123/VOLCANTOLHUACA#slideshow/5636936745940150898
https://picasaweb.google.com/c777123/VOLCANTOLHUACA#slideshow/5636936745940150898

only 2 french grup  and I skied Volcan Tolhuaca in 2011. So be prepare for gate and road condition. overniht trip might be a better option for this 3 volcan.

I started the trip from Curacartin With Mate

We prepared horses for 30km ride

Time to go

Sheepskin chaps and tele boots= brilliant.

author=Scotsman link=topic=21589.msg92493#msg92493 date=1312493139]
Sheepskin chaps and tele boots= brilliant.

Shipskin works very well. You can use both side ,when  it is cold it is better than any company product and it cost 20 $

I never did acquire a taste for matte.

Yeah, the sheepskin chaps caught my eye. 

When Jill and I toured at Volcan Lonquimay, we were able to drive to the base of the closed ski area and begin skinning there.  I remember a ski area security person starting to tell us we were not allowed there until he realized we were a couple of crazy, old Amereicans and just shook his head.  It's a great ski.

The road to Volcan LLaima was rather rough during our visit.  Unfortunately the snow was sparse, the weather miserable and it would have required a long walk on dirt.  There was an ancient ski area at the base.

Volcan Toahuaca was never on our list and reading and seeing your report reminds me why we didn't go there.  That was a great adventure.

Keep them coming.

author=cem_terzi link=topic=21589.msg92497#msg92497 date=1312496678]
Shipskin works very well. You can use both side ,when  it is cold it is better than any company product and it cost 20 $

I bet! Love your Tr's= true adventure!

Sweet.
A classic adventure.

Malacahuello is a nicer place to stay than Curacartin. Curacartin is a just small town but it is very close to this 3 volcano . Privit room with breakfast start from 16$ at Curacartin

Malacahuello and Lonquimay are very nice beautiful mountain village.  SuizaAndina is a nice hotel with very nice camp ground 2 km to Malacahuello but it is too far for this 3 trip .
SuizaAndina camp ground 12$ a night.

love the adventure!!

brilliant! Tolhuaca is certainly one of the most interesting of the southern volcanoes. Can't wait to read more reports from you.

a

The one trip we took to the area (I think August of 2004 or so) will permanently be etched in our memories.  Nobody accesses the amazing backcountry around these areas.  We'll never forget cruising the (for  the Baker folks' reference) three to four times the length of typical Coleman Pinnacle laps each run and getting to the bottom and just looking at each other, trancelike, and saying, "ooh....sparkly."  We may think we live in a volcanic place here in the PNW, but I remember walking on the ridgelines around Lonquimay and losing count of the volcanic cones I could see somewhere in the 20's.  Thank you sincerely for giving us these reports from such a special place.  And the remoteness and mode of travel (horseback? seriously?  We just did unspeakable things to a rented 4X4)  redefines purity and radness in backcountry skiing. 

That double shot espresso needed two handles!  Awesome trip.

Reply to this TR

south-america-volcan-tolhuaca
cem_terzi
2011-08-04 13:13:27