Home > Trip Reports > Aug 1, 11, Ruth Mountain

Aug 1, 11, Ruth Mountain

8/1/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Mtraslin on 8/3/11 4:26pm
I first heard about Mt Ruth early March after meeting a friendly local from the town of Glacier,Washington. As I gushed about the classics,Mt Baker,Mt Shuksan and all the great climbing and skiing routes.She responded quickly,concisely,"Yes those are great peaks,Mt Ruth is wear you need to go,a remote peak that is easy to get to,and on a clear day, views that will take your breath away" Ruth mountain was now engraved on my mind.

Five months later I find myself unpacking the car at the Hannegan camp ground.Ready to embark on some fun and adventure. The hike starts on the Hannegan pass trail(674) and leads to Hannegan pass,(5000ft)where the brother and I happily transitioned to skis.(We were amazed how much snow there was for August). Leaving the parking lot at 8:30 we reached the summit by 12:00 pm. What a view,to our right Nooksak towers,Mt Shuksan and Mt Baker, straight ahead Icy peak and beyond you could see Mt Rainier,a little to the left you could see Glacier peak in the distance,and closer to the left you can see the Picket range.

The next objective was Icy peak,after a snack and water, and short nap.Well? The nap turned into a two hour siesta. Which may have lasted longer if it was not for the the quiet steps in the distance that awoke me from my sleep.Stephen I shouted as he gained the short distance to the summit. Small world,Stephen was on a solo jaunt after some family time in Seattle. After some good conversation,Andy and I were off to ski the North Face of Ruth mountain.The skiing was fun with no incident.

I wish I could say the same for the hike out,I managed to fall 8 feet on a weak snow bridge.(The same snow bridge we crossed in the morning).Luckily I landed on two feet and came out with all body parts intact.Stoked once back at the car,turned into a bit of a bummer when we realized we locked our keys in the car.Thanks to Stephen who drove my brother back to the town of Glacier. (That is wear the real adventure began)

Skiers Andy Traslin/Mike Traslin

photos Mike Traslin/ Andy Traslin

Ruth North Face

Mike summit shot

Andy dropping into the North Face.

Mike crawling out of the creek.Snow bridge freefall wild ride.

Wow -- Ruth is still looking incredible!  Thanks for the TR.  Glad you made it the rest of the way back to town without incident :) 

North face is looking good.  Thanks.
We've all pictured "dropping in" like that!

Yes Mt Ruth is beautiful....

For sure a lesson learned on the snow bridge! If you could beleive my brother who is a bigger guy went first. I landed on two feet in a squat position..(I rode the bridge like a giant skateboard) Or that is what Andy said it looked like.

So it's not like you Traslins have any shortage of terrain in the winter - but to echo the "Glacier local" in terms of perspective, look at your second picture, and imagine that rockband turned into a panorama of gullies that go.  The downside is navigating the massive avy debris piles (on a good day) which are a shooting gallery with you in their sites on a bad day.  But a fantastic high pressure objective late winter for those willing to skin - like y'all.

Good thing Mike skateboarded as a kid, allowing him to ride the slab to flat bottom.

Reply to this TR

aug-1-11-ruth-mountain
Mtraslin
2011-08-03 23:26:30