Home > Trip Reports > July 30, 2011, Camp Muir and Nisqually Chute

July 30, 2011, Camp Muir and Nisqually Chute

7/30/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JPH on 7/30/11 11:50am
Not a whole lot different than Andy's report from a couple days ago, but an amazing day on the mountain none the less.  Lots of solo TAY types up there today, nice to meet you all!

The upper thousand feet or so from Muir skied like a thousand midget snowboarders had bumped it out, but then the Nisqually chute more than made up for it and skied like a magic carpet to awesome land.  I briefly considered a second lap in the chute, but decided that it would probably be over cooked by the time I got back, tired legs had nothing to do with the decision...

If you're heading up tomorrow and don't care about going to Muir, a few laps in the chute would make a great day.

Edit to add - get there early, the amount of people there after the morning was crazy.

Marmot and Mountain

Chute conditions

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EENanc4DmoE/TjS9_Ja_sBI/AAAAAAAAHTI/tyEEsKKI_JI/s1024/P1000652.JPG" />
Tatoosh Conditions

Anyone with a dog that has a certain problem sees the irony in this container...gross.

Goods
Drat and double drat! I should have stayed with you guys. A magic carpet ride to awesome land sounds pretty sweet. :) Great to meet you up there!

Yeah, you definitely made a bad choice, and it was only like a 200' skin out.  On a side note, my prediction of "the entrance should be pretty obvious" was right...if you're looking up the slope after skiing by it.  :D

Nice report.
Tks for the conditions pics.

Reply to this TR

july-30-2011-camp-muir-and-nisqually-chute
JPH
2011-07-30 18:50:11