Home > Trip Reports > July 28, Shasta

July 28, Shasta

7/15/11
US elsewhere
Posted by all mtn on 7/29/11 5:24am
- bein' that Shasta is in my general area, I endured some vert gain yesterday afternoon. road was almost open (due to a thick snowdrift) within a mile from the TH. there was also a huge, old tree down at the TH.
I hiked for 4 hrs, 7,500-11,000. The temp was warm, creating the typical sweat condition, but there was a gentle breeze. I  recently replaced my worn Mtn hardwear hat w/ a North face one. The North face hat is a bit heavier but I like it better - for the solar radiation. The upper mtn snow looked white, without the typical dirty look, this time of yr. I wanted to get up to 12,500 to ski 'lookers left', but the only way to do that is to start around dawn, with the surface still firmer. I enjoyed the complete quiet that this side of Shasta usually offers. I noticed the 5 pm shadows that covered the Wintun side of the mtn, with the Hotlum side getting its late afternoon sun! There was one burly 4X at the trail head, and I didnt ever see that party. I then casually proceeded down for the run. The connecting snow at the bottom was easy to spot. I found the the surface to be soft, and the cups were about 6 inches and firm. Down at the bottom, the cups were minimal, but the pitch turns flat and the snow was dirty. I knew the editor of the former Couloir mag. and he called Shasta, 'the Masta' and that's defintely the feeling you get while on its slopes.
author=all mtn link=topic=21553.msg92337#msg92337 date=1311971074]
Shasta, 'the Masta'

No argument there.  :)
Out of curiosity, which trailhead that was almost accessible did you go to---Brewer Creek? 

- yaa/ Brewer Crk, NE side, or 'Hot-tun' is typically the last TH to open. And this side of the Mtn is sometimes referred to as the quieter side. I wasn't too stoked w/ the ski conditions, so I didnt say.  The Fifth Season shop does a Mtn rpt at (530) 926-5555 ! And they're the ones that offer the inside terms. The Wintun Glacier is the east portion, and the Hotlum Gl. the west part. Their dividing ridge has skiing on both its sides, with most people skiing the Hotlum side, but the Wintun side has the better fall-line and pitch. Technically speaking, the sidewalls of Avalanche Gulch probably offers the best & easiest turns but is not a traditional descent. Wintun & Hotlum are native American words with this side of 'the Masta' *

Great to see that you are still enjoying the epic snowpack.  Jill and I will return to Tahoe and The Sierra next season.  We'll have to check with you before our next trip.

- definitely an Ep Ic snowpack Zap. I think you know the drill. Virg lks typically opens mid April. Tioga used to typically open the end of April. But if it keeps snowin (even just a couple inches) they'll keep it closed. You know about all the spots by Bishop. So all we need in April is sun. I've been to Shasta enough that you never know what you'll get * cheeers mate- next yr

Reply to this TR

july-28-shasta
all mtn
2011-07-29 12:24:34