Home > Trip Reports > July 23-24, 2011, Flett/Russell Glacier Area

July 23-24, 2011, Flett/Russell Glacier Area

7/23/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by skierlyles on 7/28/11 4:18am
July 23-24, 2011 Flett/Russell Glacier Area (attempts at prose and conditions report)

Sure has been awhile since I have contributed to TAY, so here goes€¦

For the past few months I have lamented the weather, made other excuses not to ski, and even picked up a passion for surfing. Needless to say I have not been out for quite some time in the mountains I love. It is nice to think of all the clean, fresh water pouring down into various tributaries from the plentiful snowpack above, while surfing cold water here in the PNW. It was a moment in the water where I realized how much I enjoy recreating in/on water, whatever its state, frozen, liquid, or pretty much anywhere in-between. The itch was on€¦

With a solid forecast of clear weather for the weekend, calls and emails went out soliciting partners for a two day, single night adventure. Four others answered the call of the mountains, and we planned to set out on Saturday morning for a weekend in the Flett/Russell Glacier area of MRNP.

Saturday morning the sun rose to a clear sky and afforded us views in all directions, illuminating the numerous ranges. €œThis was going to be a great trip!€, I thought to myself. After securing an overnight permit for the five of us (Snowbell, Altasnob, Stugie, TBill, and myself) at the Carbon River ranger station, and having met at the Mowich Lake lot, we finally ventured out in boots onto the snow-free Spray Park Trail. After realizing the 4-5 foot snowbanks existed only in the parking lot, we began to wish we had started off in trail shoes (the trail is easily trekked in ski boots nonetheless). The trail time went quickly as each of us caught up on the inevitable changes in each other€™s lives. As we climbed onto the bench that is the beginning of Spray Park and out into the meadows, the snow depths quickly increased to 5+ feet. Here we transitioned to skins, enjoying the weight off our backs, and relishing in the familiar swoosh and glide of skinning. It had been far too long away from my beloved mountains€¦

Before too long we arrived at the base of the Flett headwall, our intended bivy for the night. Here we dropped gear on the moraine above the slowly melting lake. The snow on our approach was deep, but also deeply suncupped. The cups in flatter sections were almost a foot in diameter, and the surrounding slopes were incised by runnels ~6 inches deep. From this vantage we could see that the lower elevation slopes had suffered some serious rain and sun effects. The upper Flett headwall looked to have survived the worst of it, as its steep pitch was mostly smooth in appearance.

From here we broke off into two groups, mine heading onward to the Russell headwall. We bootpacked the lower sections which required a few carries over rocky zones, and eventually started skinning on Flett Glacier remnants in no time. The route between Echo and Observation rocks is a magnificent one, and affords fantastic views of Rainier in all her majesty. We relished in the views, making quick work to the top of the Russell headwall. On the way up we noted a few cracks starting to open up where the Russell feeds into the Carbon, and near obvious zones of extension. The skinner€™s right-side of the glacier is free of debris and cracks, making it easily navigable.

At the top of the Russell headwall we rested, took photos, and readied ourselves for a much-deserved descent. The first few turns of mine were quite tentative as it had been awhile since I had been on skis, but I quickly threw down the throttle and arced turns down the buttery face, whooping in joy. This is what I love and missed so dearly! Snowbell, TBill, and I continued down the glacier, traversing skier€™s left to milk the steeper rolls.

We paused near Observation Rock and decided to take a short detour up to the summit. A short climb later brought us to the 8376€™ summit and gave us great views in all directions. Here we rested and basked in some much needed sunshine and enjoyed the views of snowy mountains and Puget Sound below.

After a quick traverse we were at the top of the Flett headwall with perfectly sun-baked slopes below us. We descended around 7:30 pm on nicely softened creamed corn, popping into each turn with more and more ferocity as we descended towards Altasnob and Stugie, encouraging us on from camp below. The snow turned from creamed corn to runnel/cup madness near the flats, but did not make the run any less enjoyable. I missed the challenge of less than stellar skiing, compressing my knees, imagining I was mogul skiing my way back to camp.

Stugie and Altasnob had enjoyed an afternoon of exploring around the area and awaited our arrival at camp. Shortly after arriving, a dinner of mac and cheese was gobbled down and the night€™s starry show was soon to commence. Views from camp encompassed Tacoma, Puget Sound, and the lesser peaks in the area. As the sun set, and city lights lit up the skyline, I reminded myself of how lucky we truly are to be able to partake in such an activity, and I quickly fell asleep under the starry sky.

That night we all slept well, so well that it was far into morning before any of us awoke. A few clouds dotted the morning sky and signified an end to the clear sky of yesterday. The clouds were a welcome respite from the sun and cooled us down, lessening the temps all around.

Our last day on the mountain we decided would be a good one to explore some other areas. We decided to carry camp further up the mountain so we could ski east of Echo and down into Seattle park if we so desired. So, while Stugie lapped the slopes near Echo, our group of four headed off to ski the side of the Russell closest to the Carbon Glacier.

Skiing east and north to a moraine, we climbed to where the goats had just surveyed their landscape. Awesome views of the jumbled upper glacier spilled into a mass of rock and ice lower down, ultimately terminating the lowest elevation glacier in the lower 48 states far downstream from where our eyes could see. The lower elevation snow of the Russell and lower snowfield was suncupped, runneled, and quite baked, but nonetheless we had fun (only a few cracks in obvious spots were present). The days€™ objective was to explore, not ski, so we were satisfied with epic views of the Carbon, Willis Wall, Sunrise, and Liberty Cap glacier all around us.

Our group of four then skinned back uphill to ski one final face that had been left untouched by this weekend€™s warriors before meeting up at Echo rock. This last climb was quite taxing on my out-of-shape physique, and left me at the top wobbly kneed. After a bit of rest we all descended the steep rollover leading down to the uphill side of Echo rock and our gear below. We then met up with Stugie and packed gear for the slog out.

The ski down to the eastern flats of Spray Park was quite easy with full packs, and only involved a few short carries over rock. Here we parted ways with Stugie who hit the trail out while we took Knapsack Pass. I had never seen this area so was excited to close a loop and see more terrain. After a short detour, Snowbell, TBill, and myself decided to climb Mt. Pleasant, and enjoyed the views from the summit. The snow down the SE slopes of Pleasant was pretty pleasant, and from here we traversed over to Mist Park. Snow is melting out of Mist and Seattle Parks below, but the snow was still deep enough for the boot up Knapsack. Knapsack Pass itself is a bit melted out, and to reach skiable snow to Mowich Lake one must stay left and hug the rock wall above to reach a snow finger looker€™s left of the pass. The skiing down Knapsack to the Lake is not continuous and involves several carries. It is a beautiful area and worthwhile for views and at least to close a loop. Don€™t get suckered into the creek too early, and be sure to search out a good snowbridge to cross it later, as it is melting out fast.

Arriving back at the cars we reunited, shared in the glory of a great weekend with good friends, at a mountain that feels like home.
nice write-up.... i though it was funny how much my summer paralleled what you wrote...the past few weekends i've been doing the commute out to westport and this weekend Becky and I are heading to the Flett for some turns.  we're very fortunate to have good surf and snow so close together.

Hi Chris,

We saw your guys heading up to the bump on Sunday when we were having our 3rd lunch break on Russell.  We continued up then skied all the way down to Seattle Park and contoured back eventually to Knapsack Pass.  It was nice to tour around lower Echo, but added at least 2 more hours to a already long day.

Hope to ski with you again.

Nice write buddy!  Yeah, after slaying double overhead off the hurricane Beatrice swell in Baja, it's hard to beat.  However, this trip was awesome!  I always love heading up there.  Not sure if the snow off Obs. Rock is going to hold, but there's a good ski line there that may have a boot pack and tracks... ::) 

FYI - As of the date of this trip, I was able to ski down to the top of the switchbacks above Spray Falls, leaving only about a 3 mile hike out that went incredibly fast.  I'm sure things are melting fast, but thought I'd throw that in for some info.

Also, the North Mowich glacier, although really broken in parts, was still more filled in than I've seen it in the past.

Pete- we sure are lucky to have all that great surf and snow so near to us, puts me in quite a quandry this time of year. To ski or to surf, that is the question... Also, hit me up with a pm if you ever need a surf partner.

Kenji- bummer our paths did not cross on this day, hopefully they will soon.

Stugie- thanks for the update on the trail out- it did seem pretty quick on the way in, but was nice to close the loop by taking knapsack out, imho.

Great story, Chris - glad you had such a good reunion with the solid water in the high places.  Sounds like it was a cool, rugged trip for manly men. 

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=21548.msg92351#msg92351 date=1311998809]
Sounds like it was a cool, rugged trip for manly men. 

Way to nail it Don, that is exactly what it was.

Good times fellas.  It was good of you to guys to take a break from surfing to help with the corn harvest. 

Nice to meet you Andy.

Thanks for the TR Itchy.

Reply to this TR

july-23-24-2011-flett-russell-glacier-area
skierlyles
2011-07-28 11:18:27