Home > Trip Reports > July 23-24, 2011, Sahale Arm

July 23-24, 2011, Sahale Arm

7/23/11
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by mikec on 7/27/11 3:46pm
I wanted to do this trip for a couple years now, though originally I had planned on just hiking it.  With this year's snow pack and me moving to Calgary/Revelstoke soon, I decided that this was the time to finally get at it.
Lisa and I drove down from Vancouver Friday afternoon and camped at Marble Creek for the night.  We didn't start hiking up to Cascade Pass until about 11am but made it up to Sahale glacier camp with plenty of time to spare.  We didn't put skins on until the flat part of the arm, as it was somewhat patchy before that.  We put in some excellent corn lines on the glacier before being exposed to a perfectly clear, moonless night.  Google sky maps is great! :)
We woke up around 9am on Sunday and skinned to the bottom of the scramble and went to the summit.  We met another group that had summited with their skies from the opposite side and were headed down the arm.. long day trip.  After rappelling back down, we put some sick lines from the summit, but covered them up with some wet slides.  We grabbed the rest of our gear from base camp and skied down the arm. 
We only had to take our skis off once on the arm.  We had mapped out a single route that still had snow which would allow us to ski to the car.  Turns out that it was a pretty sketchy route, with tension cracks below what will be a waterfall in the coming days.  It was steep and I was worried that the bridge was going to collapse, but we both made it fine (after a little tumble from going too fast on somewhat large sun cups).  The rest of the ski down was wet corn with only small sun cups, so it was quite fun.  Unbelievable to be skiing right to the car in late July!
Great trip all around; for people thinking of doing it from here on in the summer, expect to carry your skis until the arm and only be able to ski down to Cascade Pass.  I have a ton of great photos.. I'll try to put some more up of the snow if anyone is interested.
Rad!

Reply to this TR

july-23-24-2011-sahale-arm
mikec
2011-07-27 22:46:38