Home > Forum > January 7, 2005, Mt. Baker-Face Shot Day

January 7, 2005, Mt. Baker-Face Shot Day

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Jan 2005 11:47 #211772 by Zap
When I looked at the ski report at 5:30am, I had to check the numbers twice - 20" new and 20 degrees. Crystal 2" new. Forget breakfast, grab the downhill gear and meet Perlin at the P&R at 164th exit. The drive to Mt. Vernon from Seattle was easy with a bit of drizzle. I-5 from Mt. Vernon to Glacier was snow covered, with a few folks in the ditch and traffic moving at 35mph. The road from Glacier to the ski area was in great shape and we arrived to partly cloudy skies, no wind, 20" of powder and 20 degrees. For the next 3.5 hours we began a non-stop powderfest. Being 6'3" face shots don't occur regularly but today was the exception. Every run had sections where visibility went "white" and only barking and smiles emerged. About 1pm the sun emerged and I thought we were at Alta. <br><br>Table Mt. and the areas visible from the ski area were untouched today. Saturday should be epic in the backcountry. Natural releases were visible and on steep terrain the crust layer was felt periodically.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.