Home > Trip Reports > July 23, 2011, NFNWR Adams

July 23, 2011, NFNWR Adams

7/23/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by eduardo blanchard on 7/25/11 7:40am
Very fun trip out to Adams this past weekend. I drove up to the NW side, to about 1 mile before the Divide camp trail head where snow appeared. There is an amazing amount of snow left in the forest, I guided myself by following a stream up and made camp a mile or so below the snout of the Adams glacier. Beautiful alpenglow Friday night. On Saturday I made my way across to the North Ridge, where I only saw one climber ahead of me who had started from Killeen TH and driven there without snow (??, must have come from the other direction). Quite a few people on the summit coming and going from the south- but alas solitude was regained soon enough as I pointed them sticks down the sweet steep slopes of the NFNWR. Very variable snow conditions, the top third was almost powdery (I think it snowed a couple inches on Thursday), the middle third was frozen, firm but still skiable and the bottom third was nice and soft. Surface is pretty smooth throughout, but the bergshrund crossing to get onto the Adams was a little exciting... may not be around for much longer, otherwise though this line is in pretty good condition right now. And what a cool fun line it is, with that never-ending rollover at the top into an abyss of goodness. A true Cascades Classic! ;)

Friday evening just before reaching camp

The Lava glacier and headwall from N Ridge. I was thinking about skiing the headwall or one of the Stormy couloirs on Sunday but I think they are both done for the season. Lots of rockfall and the schrunds don't look too friendly

Face of goodness.

Thanks Adams!
YES! Nicely done.

Killen Creek TH is driveable; skinnable snow about a mile up the trail. Bugs are hungry; bring blood.

Nice work!

Blanchardo strikes again.

sweet!  classic line indeed!

Nice work, looks like fun! What time of day did you ski?

Most Excellent!!!!!!

Started skiing around 2.30pm, probably could have waited a little longer for softer conditions in the middle, but I just wanted to ski ski ski yeeeaaaa...

Drew, cabron, pasalo bien en Chile! que envidia te tengo...

More of a climbing question,  has anyone seen the Lava Glacier headwall?  does it look in for a climb?

Reply to this TR

july-23-2011-nfnwr-adams
eduardo blanchard
2011-07-25 14:40:22