Home > Trip Reports > July 23, Russell/Flett

July 23, Russell/Flett

7/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by andyski on 7/23/11 1:51pm
Feet of snow at Mowich Lake! Though, I wish I had used tennis shoes for the spray lake trail, which was mostly dry. Russell and Flett skied great. Smooth. Didn't get sun cupped and sticky and runneled until the bottom of the Flett.
A few other details to add from the day up on the Russell and Flett glaciers (agree with Andyski on how well the upper portion skied... a fun day up there!):

- Russell Headwall skied well but the basin below it is pretty suncupped and runnelled as is the skiers left on the first pitch down below that basin

- A few cracks opening in the Russell but all very small.

- Flett headwall looks nice and smooth although the basin below that is pretty runnelled as well.

- Below 6500 feet there are significant amount of suncups and runnels

- It's possible to keep the skis on all the way from Spray Park (~ 5400-5500 feet) to the top of the Russell Headwall for the time being

Good news.  The Russell loooked good from Burroughs.
Sounds like the road is open to Mowich Lake?
And what do you think of the Spray Lake approach compared to Knapsack Pass? 
Knapsack didn't seem like much of a shortcut.

Good detail iluka, especially on the cracks! Pretty extensive (from a distance/area perspective) network of shallow cracks. I was very surprised to see them considering the snowpack.

Telemack: I never do knapsack so I won't offer an opinion, but the E aspect definitely was completely snow covered. Didn't look at the lake side.

My brother and I were up there as well, salivating over the fact that the Mowich Lake road was finally open! First trip for me up to the area as I'm still fairly new to this aspect of skiing, but wow, what a neat tour. Iluka, thanks for helping give us a sense of direction on our way up. I'll shoot you a few pictures of your turns down the Russell as soon as I can download them. Andyski, I enjoyed our brief conversation towards the top of the Russell, and I hope you were able to get those first turns down the Flett Headwall. I gave it a pass being that we would have got to it first simply because we turned around a little early, and quite frankly, the thought of the 40 degree-plus entry at the top made my knees a little wobbly after touring all day!
I'll post a few pics as soon as I figure out how to do it, but honestly, I've rarely seen anything as beautiful as the scenery under those conditions up there yesterday. With decent corn above 8,000 feet, but everything below heavily suncupped and runneled, the skiing was fairly marginal.....but don't go for the skiing. Go for the tour and you won't be disappointed.

Nice meeting you and your brother up there yesterday, Eric.  Lots of suncups and runnells down below but scenery and the nice corn turns up high were well worth the effort!

Reply to this TR

july-23-russell-flett
andyski
2011-07-23 20:51:43